Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,291   Online: 875

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hardener Fixer for TMY-400 film

I would like to test a Hardener Fixer for my TMY-400 film. Could you recommend me some of them, of the following brands: Kodak, Ilford, Tetenal?
    Thanks,
    Henry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    None of the commonly available fixers from Ilford are hardening fixers.

Of the Kodak fixers, Kodak Rapid fixer gives you the option to add or hold back the hardener. The other commonly available Kodak fixers include the hardeners.

TMY is pre-hardened - unless you have a special reason to do so, you don't need to use a hardening fixer with it. And if you do use a hardening fixer with it, you need to wash it longer and/or use a wash-aid.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used hardening and non hardening fixer with TMY2 and haven't observed any practical difference in the results. It's a tough film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hardening fixers are no longer recommended for mainstream films, haven't been for years.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TM2 is a very versatile film.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I appreciate your comments. I just want to work with a hardener fixer because once in a while scratches appear in my negatives that were not there when they were just developed. Thanks again,
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Rapid Fixer. Mix with recommended amount of solution B, which is the hardener.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not try a tanning developer instead. Moersh Tanol or Pyrocat-HD and mask the grain while you're at it. Hardening fixers take extra time to wash, which in my opinion, actually can cause scratches due to the extra time in water which softens the emulsion. Use the tanning developer coupled with TF-4 fixer minimizes time in water and chems and allows the emulsion to harden sooner, helps eliminate possibility of scratches. Of course, this does not eliminate mishandling of negatives, so don't squeegee the film or wipe with anything, not even wet fingers. A good wetting agent, mixed properly followed by vigorous shaking of the film in the reel to expell excess water before hanging to dry in a dust free area.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin