Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,869   Posts: 1,583,298   Online: 1119

Shooter
    35mm

Tri-x and other film recipes?

I recently tried tri-x after using hp5 and tmax. I developed stock in D-76 for 6m 30s just as kodak states it to be for the temperature of the dev. However I felt that my negatives didnt come out with as much contrast as I was expecting. As I state before I use D-76 developer. Anyone have any other "recipes", as in times of both Development (and at what temp) and time for Fixing for tri x? Im looking for a good amount of contrast any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried this site....?

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Marin View Post
    I recently tried tri-x after using hp5 and tmax. I developed stock in D-76 for 6m 30s just as kodak states it to be for the temperature of the dev. However I felt that my negatives didnt come out with as much contrast as I was expecting. As I state before I use D-76 developer. Anyone have any other "recipes", as in times of both Development (and at what temp) and time for Fixing for tri x? Im looking for a good amount of contrast any suggestions?
    If you are unhappy with the amount of contrast you obtain with any particular combination of your camera and lens, your thermometer and your agitation regime, then it would not be unusual for you to experiment with longer development times.

I would suggest trying something like 8 minutes, using the same thermometer, temperature (69F?) and agitation regime that you used in your test.

I'm assuming that your temperature for the test was 69F because the Kodak data sheet for Tri-X recommends 6m 45 sec for the more usual 68F/20C (for hand agitation in small tanks).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you printed it?

Did it print as expected?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The development time you used was too short.

Contrast is controlled by time in developer, so increase as required.

There is something wrong with what you are doing, weak developer, not enough agitation, thermometer not calibrated. Kodak times are perfect for normal tonal range subjects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tri-X and D-76 are what I use. With normal development suggested by Kodak the negatives have good contrast. Others above have suggested longer development and I concur. In any case a little experimentation will put you on the right track.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tri-X exposed at 800 ISO developed in Ilford LC29 1+19 at 20 degrees Celsius for 8,5 minutes, agitation 10-12 seconds every minute.

Best regards,
    LCEL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, I had the same problem with D76 1:1 at 20C for 9.45 min. Now I go to 11 min D76 1:1, 290ml total developer in a single tank, 20C, 30 sec initial agitation and 5 inversions for every 30 sec.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Have you tried this site....?

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

wwwwwoooooowwwwwww! Thanks for that!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin