Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,035   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note Taking

Shooter
    35mm

Note Taking

I did a darkroom course just this weekend, and am looking to get my own equipment now (lots of fun.)

I know it's a good idea to keep notes of exactly what you did. Eventually when you change things up you'll be able to see what difference your changes did make. I was just wondering what specific notes do you take? From the start of the process right through the end.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only things I vary are the exposure for the print. I've developed a shorthand that I can write on the back of the print before putting it in the developer so that I'll know later exactly what I did with each print. I tried writing it all separately, but then I could never remember which print was which.
    Basically, if it says "F2 f8 10" it means I used a #2 filter, f8 aperture, for 10 seconds. If I burn or dodge, that will be after the time for the whole print, so d 1/2 R side is dodged the right side for half the time. It's far from totally exact when referring to dodging and burning, but it's enough to give me a hint the next time I print it.
    If I change anything else, I'll write it on there somewhere, but that's rare. I use a pencil (soft lead, blunt tip) on fiber and a fine point sharpie on RC. Once I'm doing "final" prints, I usually don't write on the back - the info for those is in a notebook.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have never made notes for printing, but I am working on a project right now where I have scanned all the images , made small prints and put them in a rather large art book.
    A page for each image, there will be well over a 100 images in the show and some of the prints are very difficult if not impossible to replicate, so I make notes on difficult areas, things to watch out for and such, ** for example some of the images are so hard to make, the next time I print them I will insist on minimum 10 prints made of the image for editions rather than printing a paticular image on demand.
    little things on how I figured out problem areas with multiple filters and such are more important to me than any thing else.

Keeping notes on apeture, time,filters and such is IMO a waste of time, as over time this all becomes second nature.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used to be a forms designer, and recently came up with this.

http://www.beefalobill.com/images/labnotesprint.pdf

Bob's right about it becoming second-nature, I hardly ever dig out earlier records to decide on next negative, but having records can help you consistently make reprints. (For example having a record of enlarger height f/stop, paper and time comes in handy). And you can spot the end-cases (upper control limit and lower control limit of negatives that you can successfully print) to make it easier to nail down film processing times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I used to be a forms designer, and recently came up with this.

http://www.beefalobill.com/images/labnotesprint.pdf

Bob's right about it becoming second-nature, I hardly ever dig out earlier records to decide on next negative, but having records can help you consistently make reprints. (For example having a record of enlarger height f/stop, paper and time comes in handy). And you can spot the end-cases (upper control limit and lower control limit of negatives that you can successfully print) to make it easier to nail down film processing times.
    Bill:

I get an "Invalid Color Space" error code when I attempt to download (and potentially 'borrow') your form.

EDIT: and now it comes out fine???
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Winger, I write on the back of my print as to contrast grade, f/stop, time, plus D&B data. If a print is very involved, I clip a print with dodge and burn lines and times along with a final print, then file them. I always keep a copy of my finished work as reference.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would take notes but I can't read!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would take notes but I can't read!
    I can read, just can't read my own writing.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by ROL; 10-18-2011 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin