Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,898   Online: 1274

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    For Alums, I believe it would be in hours, not minutes, thus not practical for film as a pre-hardener. My experience with potassium alum has been with hardening the gelatin of carbon prints.
    Why do the alums work post development then in only a few minutes? Or do they not work very efficiently?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, in developing holography plates for Lippmann pictures, it's recommended to use a 10% chrome alum bath for 10 minutes before development.

SO, with that in mind, I don't see why this wouldn't work ok for you.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chakra View Post
    @ Rick and Ian - Yeah ... I've been wondering about Pyro developers for this purpose but I've never used them. I like rodinal with Efke films a lot ... but I should try pyro without stressing about toxicity.

Thanks for your responses.
    The only thing I do different from other developers is wear a nitrile glove on my hand that I agitate the tank with as it leaks slightly. I buy liquid Pyrocat-HD from Formulary so no problems with dust. I don't believe there is any difference between glycol and water mix except longevity, if you use enough that isn't a problem.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Why do the alums work post development then in only a few minutes? Or do they not work very efficiently?
    That's not my understanding, which is chemically weak, I must admit. My Alum'ed and washed carbon prints are still very soft until dry. One only soaks them in Alum for a several minutes, but they don't fully harden until dry.

I have only used Efke films in 11x14 -- no special problems with scratches.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Told you that at the start they are in acid fixer solutions.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin