Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 833

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I never thought Technidol/Tech Pan was any good anyway.
    A platinum print and a carbon print. Outdated Tech pan in Technidol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Jetty.jpg   3BoysNorthJetty.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a few rolls of 120 and maybe 35mm Tech Pan in the freezer. Wonder if their value will likewise increase. :0 Might be a better investment than a stock portolio.

Michael, no sure if you are joking or not. I shot Tech Pan for years and had it developed in Technidol with great results. Tech Pan takes time to learn because of its charactor. I killed more than a few rolls before my developer and I figured out what subject matter it works well with and learn how to get teh right results with the developer. After some months just using it, it became my main film for some years. Then we experimented and developed it as a transparency and learned to get a smooth continious tonal range out of it and that was it. Jaw dropping to see it as a mf transpareny. It drew me away from Kodachrome as my stock tranparency film. It was like losing my favorite friend when it was discontinued. I've never found an emulsion I liked as well. Pan F is okay but still not Tech Pan.
    Last edited by BrianL; 10-21-2011 at 11:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been fiddling with a home brew Tech Pan dev from the Darkroom Cookbook, and it works very well. I have a couple of sachets of technidol, but not enough to work with the amount of film I am working through.

I bought a sealed 25 sheet box of old 8x10 tech pan at a camera show for $5 last year. The box was distressed. I cut the 8x10 sheets down to 4x5 film size. It turns out that one (always the same) quadrant of the 8x10 has an adhesion spot. Something heavy was placed on the box for a long time and the emusion has thinned as it flowed away from that spot. Stll, 75 sheets of tech pan 4x5, and the ability to fine tune developer results on another 25 sheets, not bad for $5.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BrianL,

The results I found most acceptable with Tech Pan, after much testing were with TD-3. Still, in the end, for my work I did not care much for it. Invisible grain, yes. Everything else about it was disappointing to me, including its extended red sensitivity. I tried working with it when shooting 35mm because like many, I went through a phase during which I thought with document films I could get a larger-format look out of 35mm. To my eye, it never comes close. There is simply no substitute for bigger film. So for 35mm I decided I would stick with films like TMX and work hard to get the most out of them. Just my opinion though. I've since experimented in detail with CMS-20, just for the fun of it, but that's just horrible.

Michael

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Whoa is this that you mean? I'm rich hurray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Technidol.jpg  
    quiet-light.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not as crazy as the thousands of £££ or $$$ that some people pay for old (sorry, vintage) bottles of wine which they will never drink.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hmmmm - I still have 2 unopened bulk rolls of original Panatomic Kodak nitrate film - made in 1937... still produces great image quality, no fog. dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haryanto View Post
    Whoa is this that you mean? I'm rich hurray
    Oh.....never say never:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_Pan

Hang on to this stuff and make a bargain selling it to secure your pension
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin