Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,480   Online: 921

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    PE- no I do not do a running water in the first rinse between the developer and fixer. I will start using a stop bath.

For a test. After I washed it held my finger on the corner of the print. (I am printing 8x8 in the center of a 8x10 so all four corners are white) I held it there so it would create heat on the print, and if any developer was still on it it would turn dark brown/black. After my first wash there was no color changes or shifts. Tell me if this logic is correct.

You are the one to know, Why would putting the paper in the fixer cause it to get darker?

PS- Thanks PE for chiming in and helping. I also got some Liquidol to test also, I might make a batch of that and see what it does.
    Well, the lack of running water may be the problem, as that developer is pretty potent! As for why, you are carrying developer into your fixer and the fixer is alkaline too! You are turning your fixer into a monobath.

Your finger test is not quite on the mark. The heat may be insufficient. Not sure, but it just does not look right to me OTOMH.

Glad to try and help. Best wishes.

I've had the same problem and debugged this type of problem too many times for others.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I put the paper in the fixer, for the first 3 seconds it stays the same tones as when it came out of the developer and stop. Then for the next 6 seconds the darks of the paper get darker and the lighter parts get a tiny but grayer, but not as much as the darks change, then it stays the same for the remainder of the 1:30 fix time.

It retested all the time and such, for the new paper.

Yes the safelight is closer to the developer then the fixer but I did take that into consideration.

PE- I mixed up some stop bath and will see if that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Hmmm... are any of the other goodies expired Technidol?
    In fixer?????

Egad man, what a way to ruin both of them.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PE- Can you diagnose why my fingers are making the white shift to a tea/brown/purple color? It only happens right where my finger was?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually, it is the Sodium Chloride in your sweat!

That is why you should NOT touch unprocessed film or paper. Although it is more evident with papers.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok was not expecting that. Does that not happen once it has been through the fixer, if fixed properly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CJ;

If the color changes after what you think is complete fixation then this is unusual. It indicates the fixer is exhausted. If it takes place in the water rinse, the fixer before completion or suchlike, then it is probably fingerprints. Remember that finger oil can retard development and fixation. It is resistant to water, developer and fixer.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could the "darkening" actually be due to the image clearing? By that I mean the shadows becoming "unveiled" as the unexposed and undeveloped silver salts are converted by the fixer into soluble and transparent silver complexes.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry I ment to say after rinse, but you cleared that one up also.

Thank you soooooo much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    if the color changes after what you think is complete fixation then this is unusual.
    There's a word for my Americanisms thread!

Steve.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin