Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,005   Online: 867

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

prints darkening in fixer

OK, i have been enlarging for a few weeks now and have been using neutol wa, water rinse, and tf4 fixer. It was all good and fine but I ran out of developer.

Now i’m using photographersformulary 130, water rinse and tf4. Whenever I put the prints into the fixer they get darker. It never happened with the other combination. Why does it get darker? Is it normal. Here are my times

develop- 2:00
    firstrinse- 0:30
    fix-1:30
    final rinse- 1:00

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How old is the fixer? Are you fixing RC or FB paper? What dilution is the fixer? What I'm getting to here, need more info.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess would be that your fixer's exhausted. How old is it? How many prints through it? How long since you ran out of developer and got more? How was the fixer stored?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    your fixer is toast

mix some fresh, take a clip of film, see how long it takes to clear in the fresh
    then take a film clip and do the same thing the fix you have been using,
    chances are it takes more than 2x the time the new fix takes ... ( means it it is spent )

formulary 130 is great stuff, you can use it for film too
    dilute it 1:6 or 1:10 and process for about 6-7mins
    ( prints or film, use it warmish @72ºF for best results ! )

good luck !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OTOH, I would ask is the 30" rinse after development in running water? If not, you are carrying developer into the rinse and into the fix causing development to continue. And, perhaps you are turning your lights on too soon for fixation to be complete.

So, you are creating a monobath in your fixer and then turning on the lights?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had some print dilution TF4 that sat in a jug for a few years
    that I forgot about and the solution turned a weird darker color.
    Never seen this with fixer.
    Doubt it's related to your issue but how old is the TF4 you're using?

Could your safelight have been compromised since your previous successful printing sessions.
    If your safelite is closer to the fixing tray and is unsafe it could explain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Im doing fiber paper. Fixer is brand new. It’s tf4 so it is 1 to 3 from the liquid concentrate. It has only had 3 8x10 prints through it. I takes about 8 seconds for the print to darken up, then its is done and stays. This all happens with the light off and red light on. The Red light has been tested with a test strip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE brings up a good point per ususal.
    How come you're not using a stop bath?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have never used a stop bath for any developing of film or paper, also not using a stop bath was a recommendation from photographers formualry when using tf4.

After a few prints running through the first rinse i change out the water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some good answers here. Two minutes may be enough time in the developer, but it seem short for fiber paper. Then, 30 sec in just water and into the fix is, IMHO, not enough. I think you're carrying a lot of developer into the fixer, thus shortening it's life.
    I always develop fully, then use an acid stop. I see no problem with this as there may be with film. For fiber papers I would leave a minute. Then fix per manufacturers directions. Ilford recommends one to three minutes depending on the fixer. Then an hour wash, or less with a hypo eliminator.

In all I'd say, use an acid stop bath and mix some fresh fixer. Then, test your fixer every so often. I use a hypo check product that seems to work well.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin