Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,488   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call me out if I'm wrong, but isn't it a well established fact that you need to clear dichromate with sulfite and permanganate with bi/metabisulfite?

It just seems to me that the easiest answer is usually right, and this seems like a glaring fault to me.

Then again, why would the clear have anything to do with removing residual metallic silver? It just clears the bleach solution, which has ideally already done the job of clearing the silver. So who knows...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I would think metabisulfite should work - it's the standard clearing agent for carbon-transfer and gum work.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, just noticed - S. Metabisulfite is recommended for the clearing bath if you are using Permanganate/Sulfite bleach. S. Sulfite is recommended for the clearing batch if you use P. Dichromate/Sulfuric Acid bleach.

Though it seems the problem when using Metabisulfite with Dichromate bleach has been reported as loss of image, and not fog.

I've not tried Dichromate with Metabisulfite, but Dichromate works perfectly with Sulfite. The problem could be with pH: Sulfite is alkaline, Metabisulfate & Bisulfate are acidic.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then I am on the mark and have nothing to worry about, except my dufus move on a clearing agent..... I did a full exposure frame on my MF roll before I did this one. It was as it should be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

glaring faults..

sodium metbisulfite & sodium sulfite can both be used as clear agents - it doesn't matter what bleach you use. Each has it's better use depending on the overall recipe and procedure. Both will do the job. Neither is an error.

regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    sodium metbisulfite & sodium sulfite ... Each has it's better use depending on the overall recipe and procedure...
    Yes, that was the point - it seemed to be that the 'better use' was linked to the type of bleach, at least according to Kodak and Ilford literature.

Can you elaborate more on 'better use'?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    sodium metbisulfite & sodium sulfite can both be used as clear agents - it doesn't matter what bleach you use. Each has it's better use depending on the overall recipe and procedure. Both will do the job. Neither is an error.

regards.
    I stand corrected and willfully bow out....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin