Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,119   Online: 935

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by corposant View Post
    Carried on - twice.
    Ok, now we have eliminated the number one cause of x-ray problems.

I have to think about this more ... I will take a time out for now.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    - Both were ISO 400 - the shots below are TMAX 400 pushed two EV. The other roll was Legacy Pro 400 (shot at box speed). The parabolae are on different parts of the film. The ones below go right through the middle, the ones I am not posting are close to the top.
    - They went through carry-on X-ray scanners twice (there and back). I know this is the easiest explanation, but seems hard to believe.
    The signs say 800 ISO film is fine but 400 pushed to 1600 probably qualifies. Obviously you should have asked for hand inspection of your film. Sorry about your luck.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - Both were ISO 400 - the shots below are TMAX 400 pushed two EV. The other roll was Legacy Pro 400 (shot at box speed).

Granted these aren't keepers, but I find it really irritating that I don't know what is causing this to happen. My ISO 100 shots are fine.
    Again, hpulley nails the problem!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A very interesting effect! I am trying to picture the Xrays hitting the film as its rolled up in the cassette. I still cant get my brain around it as the effect is so concentrated on these frames.

I guess next time get a lead bag! They turn up from time to time on auction sites. I have one that can hold like tons of film, its about 1.5' on each side flat and weighs a ton lol. but they made various sizes, opt for the nylon covered ones and not the thin plastic one time use bags.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Think of the X-rays occupying a flat plane, cutting your film roll at a bit of an angle. The intersection of roll and plane is an ellipse, which when unwrapped along the length of film will look like a sinewave. If that's too complicated, think of the plane intersecting the roll at right angles, describing a circle around the roll, which unwrapped will look like a straight line. Then tilt that circle.

However, that style (scanning beams) is really only used on checked luggage so far as I know; the hand-luggage ones are a diffuse beam and large imaging sensor. I just took a bunch of flights and had most of my film xrayed more than 11 times around the world (including Russia and China) and my TMY2 at 800 has no strange marks like this. There might be a bit more base fog (hard to say) on the pushed rolls of TMY2, but definitely no patterns. Are you sure one roll didn't accidentally go in the wrong bag?

I deliberately put a blank roll of Ektar in my checked luggage for the last flights (Guilin-Guangzhuo-Sydney-Adelaide), so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of that.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe the film got X-rayed and damaged before you bought it? How did other films from that batch turn out?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Update: I just souped the roll that was in my checked luggage. There is not a single mark on it, so clearly some airports are using the new lower-power imaging xrays. I would still encourage people not to trust their film to checked baggage though as there are endless anecdotes of it being destroyed and it just depends on how (un)lucky you get with the screening tech in the airport(s) you traverse.

Shooter
    35mm
    The effect in the original post is a bit like one of the examples shown on the Kodak Motion pciture site in the manual on travel film x-ray effects.
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Suppo...tion/index.htm
    Movie film is wound on much larger rolls, so the effect on still film would be more together.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin