Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,578   Online: 971

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I stopped worrying and just accepted the fact that I need to work with what I have. The whole C-41 thing is actually an advantage for me since I can just ask my favorite lab to dev and scan it.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I'll be bookmarking this thread for future reference.

On a side note, Ilford's film containers are much better than Kodak's or Fuji's.
    Gear: Broken Minolta SRT-101 with MC Rokkor 50mm f1.7 | Canon EOS 500 with 50mm f1.8 II, 75-300mm f4-5.6, 24mm f2.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugerfang View Post
    Heh, my mom is already pretty ticked off at me for still using 35mm film. She says its inferior in quality and expensive. Pssshh. I can only imagine how angry she'd be if I come home with a medium format camera. :P
    I will refrain from taking the bait.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGHHHHHHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love XP2. But while Thomas is right that it will be fine at 1000, it will be superb at 200.

See if they have TMZ. It's slightly less grainy and capable of probably higher effective speeds. I use it in 35mm and Delta 3200 in 120.

I don't understand the resistance to ordering. Well, actually, I do - as a teen my father was similar, but tolerated my doing it with my money, which was fortunate as I lived in such a small town even slide film was hard to find, this in the late 70s and early 80s when it was the preferred color film of pros. I ordered everything then. Now I live in a major metro area and still order everything, because film and darkroom stuff is so rare locally. Maybe you could whittle away at this resistance.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 10-27-2011 at 07:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I will refrain from taking the bait.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGHHHHHHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG !!!
    Well for very low light, mom is actually right. Digital IS superior in very dim conditions, more sensitive and less noise (which presents as grain with film.) But there is a look with film that's hard or impossible to duplicate. For brighter situations I'd join in the scream.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital is expensive too. And for the snapshots that most people shoot, i.e. in good light, digital is no "better" than film most of the time. Where digital excels is in poor light and in a fast-paced commercial environment.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep. Totally agree!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Digital is expensive too. And for the snapshots that most people shoot, i.e. in good light, digital is no "better" than film most of the time. Where digital excels is in poor light and in a fast-paced commercial environment.
    In my opinion, digital is like film... except you paid for the cost of development and processing when you bought the camera. (with film equipment being dirt cheap and all)

Will XP2 still look fine when shot at 1600?
    Gear: Broken Minolta SRT-101 with MC Rokkor 50mm f1.7 | Canon EOS 500 with 50mm f1.8 II, 75-300mm f4-5.6, 24mm f2.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty marginal at 1600 in my experience. You might find a lab that pushes C41 but that probably means sending it out.

Shooter
    35mm
    My favorite lab can push the film. Also, what do you mean by "marginal"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugerfang View Post
    My favorite lab can push the film. Also, what do you mean by "marginal"?
    Low contrast, poor shadow detail and grainy. Unlike black and white, C41 gets less grainy with more exposure as the dye clouds overlap. It will appear apparently more grainy with less exposure - fewer dye clouds = more space between each one = apparently grainier.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin