Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,403   Online: 748

Shooter
    Multi Format

Getting back into shooting 35mm, welcome advise

After a ten+ year hiatus from 35mm, I recently purchased a Nikon FA on the auction site to use with my excellent collection of Nikon glass. I have been shooting medium and large format mostly with color film but started B&W again when I started shooting large format about 6 years ago. I have shot mostly HP-5 but started using the new Tmax 400 about a year ago.

My intension is to use my new FA with B&W and rummaging around in my film freezer I came across two 100 ft rolls of Agfa APX400 that I had used previously in a technical use with D-19 and never used the film pictorially.

I could use some information as to how you might have shot and processed the APX400 and if you think that it might be still good (exp 1/2007, frozen since new). I suspect that it is good but I will not know until I shoot some.

The developers that I use now for B&W are PyroCat HD, Ilford DDX, and XTOL which I think are probably all the developers that I would like to use with the possible exception of some 510-pyro and Tmax developer.

I would also like to try some of the EFKE 820 infrared film and would really appreciate any information as to how to shoot and process that film.

Any information or links to information on the APX400 or the EFKE infrared would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert

I have never used APX 400 with Ilford DDX but I would imagine it would make a killer combo! DDX is a fantastic developer that has worked with every film I tried it with. My only complaint about DDX is the 6 month shelf life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was not aware that there is a 6 month self life on DDX. I have used DDX many months after it was opened and there is no apparent difference in the look or action of the developer. It is probably not as long lived as HC-110, but it keeps pretty well for me.

Ilford Multigrade developer for paper is on the other hand a very poor keeper and turns rather quickly in concentrate. I buy 1/2 gal. quantities and decant it into smaller bottles and then it keeps well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About the Efke 820 IF film I believe you need a very dark red filter(maybe 89b?)

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Hoya R72 infrared filter and a deep red B&W 091 filter. I know that I can get the film at either B&H or Freestyle easily in the States. I am more interested in members experiences with the film and exposure and processing tips. At this point I know that I can test but with the price of the film being $12+ a roll I would rather not reinvent the wheel.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin