Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,610   Online: 954

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I never find the optimal time for most of these "mixes" to really be a minute appart...

Again... I think some of the folks chiming in have never DONE it. I have and I posted my impression of REAL results.
    APUG makes me nuts with folks guessing about stuff that they have no experiance with.

That massive dev chart is like the Wikipedia of processing. I have doubts about real testing and situations. For ME I have always found HP5 to be an ISO 250 film if developed by the ilford chart... and that's from Ilford, not some Wiki developemt chart.

vpwphoto --

a lot of what is posted here and other places
    is opinion not based on experience or facts. someone heard of doing something
    that someone they know's friend might have done, but not
    with the same chemistry ... &C ..

apug is all the richer of a traditional photography website because people folks like YOU
    have experience doing things and post the results of your findings.

apug drives me crazy sometimes too, but so do a lot of things

john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyO View Post
    This is a great forum with active, helpful people. I'm sure glad I joined.

Thanks again for the ideas. These two rolls aren't *that* important but I'm leaning toward the idea of putting the longer-timed one in first, then after a minute, put in the other. :-)
    I've done that to... again from experience, in the end I usually regretted it too.
    I find T-Max works best with T-Max developer.
    HP5 and Tri-x with Rodinal or D-76
    Ilford Delta films with the recommended developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    They can be developed together, but the times give in the Massive Development Chart:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

are different for Tmax and Delta100 -- at ASA100 in D-76 1:1, 12 min and 11 min respectively. I think it would be wise to develop them separately, determine the best times for each, then decide if you want to cut corners by developing them together.
    What he said

From the OP's perspective, if he/she does develop the two together, he/she only gains experience with what happens when the two are developed together (likely a relatively rare event) and not with what happens when the films are developed separately.

And again from the OP's perspective, it may be that the most valuable benefit he/she will gain from processing this film is knowledge and experience (rather than the shots themselves).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I have tried "crazy" stuff like this... something always turns out "thin" or "overcooked"... Images taken arn't worth the risks of this sort of thing.

What I HAVE done and it has obvious risks is add a rool wound on a reel "later" to the mix, I agree if things are in the ballpark and it's photojournalism deadline time do it (as I have) otherwise it is a false economy to do this on a basis of cost.... the economies of time are another story.

I have done this when I have a couple rolls that are being "pushed" with a couple rolls normal, the hazzaards of fogging the film or mixing up the pour in the dark are issues too.
    It is not crazy; it is efficient. 30 seconds in difference could not possibly make film thin or overcooked unless the developing time was very short (under 5 minutes). Something else ruined your film. Not metering/exposing properly, using a mis-calibrated thermometer, not testing your film to find it's optimal development first, etc. There is no logical reason that developing for 11:30 will make or break negatives that are "supposed" to be developed for 11 and 12 minutes.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really do this very often, just today I take a roll Ilford Pan F and a roll of Delta 3200 at 1600 exposed. It has on XTOL full strengs very similar times not exatly but not to far away, booth are looking fine!
    So what's the problem, in huge labs they do the same;--0

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs View Post
    .... in huge labs they do the same;--0

Cheers Armin
    they sure do !

i have friends who worked at commercial labs
    yup ... they did this all the time ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
    The fool learns from his own mistakes.

Proverbs

It would do the OP well to process seperatly if they call for different times, and together if they are the same, not just close enough. Obviously the OP made the eexposures because they have meaning, why risk disapointment on "close enough".
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin