Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,578   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can I develop Tmax 100 and Ilford 100 together?

Hi-- sorry if this is answered somewhere but it's not coming up on a search for me.

I just shot a roll each of Tmax 100 and Ilford Delta 100 and would like to develop them together in D76. Is this possible? I'm returning to B&W photography after a number of years and I'm very rusty on a lot of things!

Thanks for any input.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I develop hp5 and trix together. Give it a test, see how it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes you can develop both films in the same tank at the same time, but be aware the the development times for the films may be different. Take a look at the Massive Developing Chart for each film in D-76 and see what time will work best (or you may have to use a "compromise" time).

Jim B.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    They can be developed together, but the times give in the Massive Development Chart:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

are different for Tmax and Delta100 -- at ASA100 in D-76 1:1, 12 min and 11 min respectively. I think it would be wise to develop them separately, determine the best times for each, then decide if you want to cut corners by developing them together.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you very much.... you've been very helpful indeed!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have developed different films together before but only if the times are the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Vaughn said.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've no experience of D-76, but in my experience with other products (and I'll probably be jumped on for saying this!) a minute here or there makes little difference in B/W film development. Variations of temperature, exposure, time taken to pour out developer and pour in stop bath all make it rather less precise than we may like to think, try as we might to make it otherwise. If you really want to develop the films together, I'd aim in the middle and neither should be very far out. Of course, it depends on the importance of the subject material - if it's your daughter's wedding or the flying saucer that landed in the back garden last night, then develop them separately......
    Best wishes,
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Roberts; 10-26-2011 at 07:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing bad will happen chemically if different products of the same basic type (the type being b/w negative film in this case) are developed in the same tank. Obviously there will be a compromise on time somewhere unless the two films happen to share the same development time. If films are within a minute of each other, I will develop them together. I use the shorter time, or halfway between the two times if a little extra contrast won't hurt the roll with the shorter time.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin