Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,508   Online: 1043

Shooter
    Multi Format

Processed roll, strange look

Hi again,

Long time i didn't post here, but longer time i didn't shoot film for some reasons, today i don't know why i decided just to test and play with one roll to see, exposed the roll even not proper or perfect exposure [i don't care much as the film DR latitude is bigger than digi.... so i can adjust it a bit better], developed the roll and viola.

First, i was shooting FP4+, stored in the fridge and expiry date is Jul2013, i kept the film out to be warmed a bit before taking the photo and i didn't took long time to develop it after that.

Second, i was using Ilfosol 3, i have another developers better, but i was planning to finish this bottle, and here is the point, i didn't use the developer for a while, maybe over 7 months or 8 not sure, the developer color was about light yellowish-brown, not exactly same as Ilfostop but almost closer a bit, so does that mean that the developer is dead or exhausted or not working efficiently?

The Ilfostop seems fine even not used for a while and i don't worry much about it, so i can neglect it in this case.

Last, the Ilford Rapid Fixer seems still has same transparent color, but in the measuring tube glass it was not so clear as water, it was a it foggy, not sure if that is from that cardboard cover on the top or something else, and because i wasn't using it for long time same as the developer then i don't know how long i should use it, i always use the fixer for 5 minutes whether new fresh liquid or used opened one, hadn't any issue before with that, so not sure if that foggy look means anything.

So after all those, i can't tell if the developer or the fixer was the issue, ah forgot to say that the temp of the developer i used 24C to be at least at 5min, but the other chemicals i used at 20C, hope i wasn't under uneven development effect then, in all cases, i am happy that the shots appeared and i can't wait to .... them to see, but the roll look is a bit different than other rolls i did before, it sounds the roll didn't processed enough or as if the developer wasn't enough to make the dense better, the black looks dark gray on the roll and i can see through the roll.

What do you think?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear TareqPhoto,

I would guess that if the film leader looks "thin", either the developer was weak or the time/temperature were insufficient. If the leader looks normal, then it might simply be insufficient exposure. Poor fixing would result in cloudy areas where the film should be clear. With luck the good ones will print nicely anyway.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can see the shots fine, but i feel it is "thin" as you call it, i didn't print, and i will sc..n later and see, just was worry what is wrong, i am happy it is worked, get something even thin better than nothing, but i just talk about it to get perfect or better next times.

What is the film leader means?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are few shots from the roll, direct sc..... no adjustments, what do you think???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img097.jpg   img098.jpg   img100.jpg   img101.jpg   img102.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad i did shoot at late time of the noon where i was using slow shutter speed, so blurs are there, also the focusing with Hasselblad is not spot on as with my Mamiya RZ, even GSW690 better in focus and easier than this Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    They look great. We have room to wiggle with black and white negative film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The negatives seem to have scanned well - with maybe a little bit of loss of shadow detail.

The mid-tones look good as does the contrast.

It could be that your developer has lost some of its activity.

I like the photos.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    They look great. We have room to wiggle with black and white negative film.
    Ah ok, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The negatives seem to have scanned well - with maybe a little bit of loss of shadow detail.

The mid-tones look good as does the contrast.

It could be that your developer has lost some of its activity.

I like the photos.
    Thank you very much!

As i said, i didn't adjust the scans, i do adjust for the shadows or highlights, adding sharpness, contrast,..etc, i did nothing, just resized out of the scan and uploaded, if you want i can work on any show of those for better, but i just posted to see if the development/processing went fine and the developer is still working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are more shots, i excluded 2 shots from the whole roll because not interesting shots, those shots here are outdoor, playground in our backyard of the house, and because i was using slow shutter speeds i thought to show movements of the kids, what do you think about the exposure [direct scan no pp], and does the development went fine? Just wondering why the roll look thin comparing to another rolls!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img103.jpg   img104.jpg   img105.jpg   img106.jpg   img107.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin