Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 830

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hobbes,

That is a beautiful picture. What other film do you compare this to? Is there any Kodak or Ilford film that comes close?

Adam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adam hirsch View Post
    Hobbes,

That is a beautiful picture. What other film do you compare this to? Is there any Kodak or Ilford film that comes close?

Adam
    There is no other film to compare this to. Kodak & Ilford has nothing that comes anywhere near the look/quality of the Rollei films.

As the song goes "ain't nothing like the real thing, baby", and that "thing" is the Rollei line of films. Just wish their R³ was still available.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    R3 was a project where Forte in Hungary was involved. They stopped in 2007 so that was also the end of R3. But I agree this film had a very special look but needed developers for deep penetration in the 3 layers for a good result.
    In fact a modified Traffic Surveillance Film on clear Polyester layer.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For most of the Rollei films, thanks to Agfa-Gevaert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adam hirsch View Post
    Hobbes,

Adam
    Hi Adam,
    Thank you. Well, I don't have anything at the Kodak/Ilford side that would be comparable to R80S or 200S. In fact, I tried the Rollei films and quit using them pretty soon for one reason - PET base that works like an optical fiber. So, I'm staying at Plus-X & Tri-X until either I finish my stock or Kodak put the prodution to an end.
    cheers
    Dominik
    http://distantmoon.pl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    ..I tried the Rollei films and quit using them pretty soon for one reason - PET base that works like an optical fiber...
    Most (if not all) Rollei films have anti-halation undercoats (AHU), the only current film that doesn't sport AHU, intentionally, is Efke IR820Aura, and its neither Rollei nor Adox but Efke and its quite awesome to say the least, especially in format 120.
    Kodak TP used PET base as well, ESTAR in Kodak's vocab, so are other films of theirs, especially in larger formats where PET is a must.
    Could You explain Yourself what does "PET base that works like an optical fiber" means?

Thanks,
    G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > "PET base that works like an optical fiber"

Normal base material is dyed and doesn’t pipes light not very far. The PET base is clear, what has advantages of course. But it pipes light over a long distance. Not a problem for 120. But if you change a 35mm film in bright sun you may lose the first negatives. I have seen light piping over e distance of 10 cm and more.
    If you change the film in dim light, and if you change it fast there should not be any problem. If you must change film in bright sun, you should skip out the first two negatives (or the last two if you camera works afterward).

That is no reason to avoid this film. Both are very fine grained, R80s is comparable to Copex Rapid! The films can developed to a normal gradation without much difficulty. Both can used together with an 720 nm IR filter, which costs 3 stops.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a problem for 120
    Not when DIY but when bringing to a lab, e.g. Digibase CN200 (C41) pro and they (=lab) are using a 120 roll film holder and put a small piece outside for guiding into the machine the light piping can go over the first negative too. On the other hand clear PET/Polyester layer negatives are so nice to put on the light box

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    FED NKVD, FEOOG, Rollei Retro 80S 135 as IR @ ~ 5ASA, Tetenal Ultrafin Liquid 1:30, 10 minutes @ 20°C, agitation every minute.
    I'm about to try Rollei 80 in 120, and wonder what filter you used for this IR effect ?
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For all Rollei extended RED films and the IR-400(S) you need:
    #89B or #88A to have a good "wood" effect.
    Heliopan RG715 (715nm) or Hoya R72 (720nm) are the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin