Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,264   Posts: 1,680,778   Online: 794

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How do I do a wash with a dry darkroom?

This is my first time posting.

I'm in the process of setting up a darkroom in a closet in my apartment. The closet has no running water, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about doing a wash. My first thought was to just put my prints in a tray in the bathtub, but I'm not sure if that would cause the bathtub to stain. I'm renting, so I really can't leave developer stains in my tub.

So, would the chemical residue on the prints leave stains in the tub?

If so, what other way could I wash my prints?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I do mine in the tub and have never seen a stain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I had a dry darkroom, I used a plastic washtub full of water to put my prints in. When I was done, I took them to the laundry room for washing. Never saw any stains. Hypo shouldn't stain. Try it and see. You can always use some bathroom cleaner if there is anything.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have running water in the darkroom either.

I fill a 5 gallon full of water for use in the darkroom. Another, empty bucket serves as waste.
    I keep two trays of water on the table. One is to rinse prints in as they come out of the fixer/hypo-clear. The other is a holding bath until I get a batch of prints that can go out to the laundry room to wash under running water.

After I get a batch of prints into the wash, I empty the two trays, using the waste bucket, and refill using the supply bucket.
    This is also a good time to refill or replenish any chemistry on the table that might need it.

That's my system. It works for me.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I work in the utility room off the kitchen. I pop my prints into a tray of water until I'm finished, then it's into the kitchen for a wash. I also load my film into tanks in the utility room and process in the kitchen.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum Aevum

“What is a master but a master student? And if that's true, then there's a responsibility on you to keep getting better and to explore avenues of your profession.”
    -Neal Peart-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At times I've been there and I wash in the bath tub, I do have a sipon fitting for the plug hole.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wash in a tray in the tub. My darkroom is down stairs.

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

Wow, thanks for replying so fast. I'll start printing right away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no running water in my basement darkroom yet either. I got a seven gallon container with a spigot that I fill up just outside the door (basement opens to the outside, house is on a side hill) with the garden hose as needed. This is the one I use and it's pretty convenient, as convenient as it can be without running water:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC31G6

I took keep a five gallon bucket for waste water and harmless waste solutions, empty as needed.

For washing I do much what others do but have an additional challenge in that I don't have a sink anywhere in the house large enough for an 8x10 much less 11x14 tray. I suppose I could use the bathtub but that's low and very awkward. For prints, I soak in successive trays of fresh water. It's a PITA but proven to provide an effective wash. Film tanks come upstairs where they fit under the faucet in the bathroom sink, except for the Jobo 2553. When I use that, I just take the two or more (two 4x5 2509n, up to 5 35mm) reels out and put them in one of my 2523 tanks and wash in that. I can do two of those at a time with a dual vanity which handles all the film at once. It would not handle the 5th 35mm but that hasn't come up yet and if it does, the last roll can wait until one of the first is finished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did similar when I had a closet darkroom and did the wash in the kitchen.
    Marvin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin