Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,331   Online: 910

Thread: Brown Dektol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Brown Dektol

After mixing fresh Dektol about a week ago, I filled four one liter brown plastic bottles to the top for storage. As of yesterday, it had all turned brown, like dark brown, but still seemed to work okay.

So, obviously, the brown plastic bottles are no good for Dektol storage. Will they be usable for other stuff or should I just throw them in the trash? How can you tell what plastic is safe for photo chemistry?

All of my other bottles are super duper brown glass that I snagged from the trash at a state environmental lab. Might have to hit the dumpster again!
    Last edited by ParkerSmithPhoto; 11-01-2011 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot something
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the bottles are fulled to the top and sealed good the developer should last longer than that I'd think. Dektol does have a Lt brown color to it after mixed, should be ok to use try it.
    Glass is better to keep oxygen out but I've always used plastic myself.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What was in your possibly contaminated bottles before?

That's the whole problem with brown glass bottles as well, you can not see some residue in the bottles. Is was, is and always will be a problem with darkroom chemical storage. I hated them 40+ years ago at school and university for just that problem.

Dektol, D76 and Kodak RA4 paper developer keep for many months is PETE plastic soda bottles. They are clear, cleanable, inexpensive and virtually unbreakable.
    Bob

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Never had this problem -- even with several weeks (to months) with Dektol in plastic bottles.

I suppose if one vigorously stirs the powder into the water and introduces lots of oxygen into the mix before one caps the bottle, some extra oxidation might happen.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Never had this problem -- even with several weeks (to months) with Dektol in plastic bottles.

I suppose if one vigorously stirs the powder into the water and introduces lots of oxygen into the mix before one caps the bottle, some extra oxidation might happen.
    I think you may have solved the mystery. The Dektol didn't seem to want to dissolve, so I gave it a good vigorous shaking before I poured it into the smaller bottles. From now on, I will stir!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Dektol from stock solutions that were the color of weak coffee, and it was fine. Brown isn't the end of the world, but it should be translucent.
    Shaking it to mix isn't good, nor is stiring so vigorously that you pull air in.
    You may want to make a test print from a negative you know well, that you have a good print from for comparison.
    But if the image emergence time is good and you're getting good blacks, the developer is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The water temp. that Kodak recommends for mixing is important.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin