Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,978   Online: 836

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Delta 3200 and Perceptol woes

Hi everyone. I recently tried shooting Delta 3200 and developing with Perceptol. I initially tried the recommended 18 minutes at 68' (stock solution), and then after my negatives turning out WAY too thin I tried 23 minutes on another roll, still yielding terrible results. Does anyone else have any experience with this combo? Can anyone recommend a better solution for shooting 3200 ASA? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delta 3200 Perceptol007 - small.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	567.9 KB 
ID:	41024

Pic related - it's about how under-developed both rolls appear to be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like 1 or 1 1/2 stop lacking exposure for the recommended development.

Shooter
    35mm
    If by solution you mean a liquid solution.....I've been shooting 3200 T-Max & Delta for years now and have come to the conclusion that Kodak P3200 in T-Max juice at 20 deg C. for the recommended time gives me the best possible result. The Ilford brand combo gives me rather contrasty and "grainy" looking negs. disclaimer: I know that the word "grainy" may be the wrong way to describe the look of the neg by strict definition, but for the sake of this post I will use it. I have had a lab in Paris process P3200 in Xtol with fab results too but I do not know the timing. Hope this helps. cheers, sam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm, I can't seem to find P3200 in 120, but I might give the 35mm a shot next semester. Thanks for the suggestion!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like 1 or 1 1/2 stop lacking exposure for the recommended development.
    I might have to check my RB67's meter against another then. I hope it's not been giving me wonky readings in low light!

Shooter
    35mm
    I used it in the past - Delta 3200 that is - and had no problems with ID-11 - as per manufacturers instructions 10:30 min

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't perceptol belong to the group of developers which lower iso of a film? I guess so, that would explain 1-1&1/2 underexposure effect.. Roger Hicks used to expose his HP5+ to 250.. I'd do same with Delta 3200 (which true iso is at around 1200-1600 anyways)..
    cheers
    Dominik
    http://distantmoon.pl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use Microphen stock, HC-110 1+15 or DD-X 1+4 with Delta 3200 for best speed.

Sent from my K080 using Tapatalk
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Use Microphen stock, HC-110 1+15 or DD-X 1+4 with Delta 3200 for best speed.

Sent from my K080 using Tapatalk
    Or T-Max or T-Max RS, which work great with Delta 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perceptol and high speed films are not sensible combinations. Even at 1+3 Perceptol loses about a stop unless you develop long enough so that the extra-fine grain effect is totally lost. In any case, you can't make Delta 3200 a fine grain film with Perceptol or any other ultra fine grain developer. All you'll get is grain that is less well defined, but still very prominent. It is best to start with a film that inherently has the image characterisitics you want. They can then be enhanced, or slightly modified by an appropriate developer. But using an ultra-fine grain developer on a grainy film is a mismatch. If you're shooting Delta 3200 it's either because you need the speed or you want the look of a fast film. You'd be much better off with DD-X or XTOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin