Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,773   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Pushing Neopan Acros 100

Just wondering if many have tried pushing Acros 35mm? I really love it rated as 100, but sometimes require an extra stop. I know I should just try it (and I will) but any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I usually develop in XTOL 1:1... I was thinking of pushing one stop and then developing for 11 min with slightly less agitation. What do you think? Thanks very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try here, some suggestions for a push to 200, but mostly for 120 format.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...er=&mdc=Search
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was recently considering this as well. A quick google search shows that people have pushed it to 400 with great success, so I might try it myself and post the results if I can remember to in the next few days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is my test data for Acros using Michael Madio's PCM formula (ascorbate-developers.blogspot.com/2011/03/recipes.html):

eveloper: PCM (one-shot)
    Temperature: water batch (20-21 Celsius)
    Development: full stand (initial 60 secs inversion)

full box speed - about 12 mins;
    1 stop push - about 20-21 mins;
    2 stop push - about 30-32 mins;

By examining via grain focuser only, grainess is comparable to the results from 510-pyro. Two stop push is probably the practical limit; one stop push is quite decent unless it is an extremely contrasty scene. Sorry I don't have scanner, so I can not upload any sample image.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The question of pushing Neopan Acros has been up for discussion before and I sent a link to a useful thread that time. I enclose a link here. Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1150481
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the info everyone - appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm kind of surprised people would find Acros a good film to push (ie underexpose, overdevelop). Acros has a rather unique highlight gradation compared to TMX and Delta 100. Highlight contrast is inherently very high. In fact its characteristic curve is steepest in the range from around zones IX-XII (in zone system parlance). Overdeveloping (ie pushing) would exaggerate this characteristic, making the highlights very dense (although they'd still separate quite well if they are not too high on the curve and overdevelopment is not excessive). Acros is also a slightly "slower" 100 speed film than TMX and Delta 100 to begin with, in terms of shadow contrast. Bottom line is by pushing you're losing shadow detail/contrast and making highlights more dense.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 11-02-2011 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All numbers aside, I routinely shoot Acros at EI 400 and push process in Xtol 1+1 with good results. With very little loss of shadow detail I find that the resulting negatives print very well in my diffusion enlarger. I agitate every 3 minutes to keep the highlights under control while the shadows are allowed to develop more.

I have no idea what the characteristic curve looks like after that, but the prints are good, and that's all I care about.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really depends on the look each individual is after.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas,

Have you tried it with your famous replenished Xtol?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin