Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1086

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak HCA - longevity? quick question

Hallo,

Quick question about Kodak HCA. When the stock solution is diluted to the working solution, does it have a shelf life? and what is it?

The packet only says that it lasts 24 hours in an open tray but if it was stored in a container like dev and fix, would it last?

Thoughts and answers welcomed!

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're talking about using it for film, then don't dilute the stock solution until you're ready to start developing. If the working solution only lasts 24 hours in an open tray, then it's probably not going to last that much longer in a container. I imagine it's just like using D-76 1:1. You dilute it right before developing and you're only supposed to use it one-shot as it won't last very long when diluted. And HCA working solution is much more diluted than D-76.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once used HCA tends to grow mold and other crud. It is best used as a one shot and then discarded. It's not expensive and trying to save the used solution would be a foolish economy.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Once used HCA tends to grow mold and other crud. It is best used as a one shot and then discarded. It's not expensive and trying to save the used solution would be a foolish economy.
    Hallo,
    Growing mold does seem to be a good reason not to keep it!

The reason I ask is that sometimes I only have time to print one neg in the evening and the HCA will be no where near exhausted after this, if kept (during a week?) it would save mixing up a fresh batch virtually for each print, but mold - not good.

See, you try to conserve resources and *sheesh* the stuff goes moldy as soon as you turn your back. Looks like best to continue with the discard routine.

Thanks,
    Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you live in a cooler location you may be able to keep the solution for a few days. But here in the south US it is too hot for most of the year. Check the solution for any slime which may form. Bits of emlsion which come off provide nutrients for micro-organisms.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used dilution H (twice as dilute as dilution B) after about a month in a full glass jar, and it worked as normal. Haven't tried any longer than that.

Edit: Completely ignore that. I was talking about HC-110.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin