Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,547   Online: 1027

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Bromophen turning pink?

OK, Hopefully this will be a quicky. I mixed up a batch of Bromophen two and a half weeks ago. While the majority went into brimmed full PET bottles, about a litre went into a half full PET bottle, which I used a portion of two weeks ago. I have now noticed the remainder in the half full bottle has a very distinct pink hue to it. I know that Ilford claim that it will be OK for two months and I do plan to use the remainder tonight, I just want to know if this is the early signs of it starting to oxidise?

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Had a batch of D76 (as I recall) that was pink on mixing - Used it as normal without any discernible ill effects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I have to admit that I am not overly concerned, more to the point I am curious in what's happening, that's all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will get a slight colour change as a developer oxidises slowly but most PQ developers will work fine even when they've turned a dark straw colour.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mason, "Photographic Processing Chemistry" contains a long discussion of the oxidation of Phenidone. He states that mild oxidation in an alkaline solution yields a pink colored compound.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin