Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,513   Online: 1059

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No there are only 2 versions on the market.

Genuine Agfa Rodinal as made fom the mid 1960's when the formula was changed at the time of Agfa's merger with Gevaert. This has an excess of Hydroxide and a higher pH and is now sold as Adonal, Blazinal. RO9 One shot etc but it's all made by the same factory.

Then there's the former Agfa Orwo version made by Calbe which uses a pre WWII Agfa formula, has a higher p-Aminophenol content but no free hydroxide and so a lower pH. this is sold as Calbe RO9, APH09.

The problem is that the two versions don't behave quite the same. many German and Continental EU photographers prefer the older version which is why people like Mirko ant Fotoimpex sell and distribute both.

Ian
    How do these formulations compare with the formula given in Anchell and Troops Film Developer Cookbook. I am curious because I make mine using the Anchell and Troop formula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    08 Nov 2011

To All:

WOW! Thanks for the input, and clarification about Agfa. I have and account at Freestyle Photo, and they have been quite reliable. I will give them a "look see" to see what they have.

I began to look at Rodinal for a couple of reasons: (1) I have heard a lot of talk about how good the developer is, so I should gather some data myself, (2) I had a small bottle of Rodinal to experiment with, and (3) I am trying to "tame the grain" of Delta 400.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Delta 400? What size negative to what size print? It's grainier than TMY but less so than other 400 films I'm familiar with and, in any case, Rodinal is probably not your developer to "tame grain." If Delta 400 is too grainy and you need 400 speed try TMY-2. If that's too grainy you need a bigger negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholer View Post
    How do these formulations compare with the formula given in Anchell and Troops Film Developer Cookbook. I am curious because I make mine using the Anchell and Troop formula.
    Rodinal, also known by it's original Agfa formula number R09 (Rezepte 9), has always been made using p-Aminophenol free base right from it's first being formulated, that has never changed. Agfa R10 a two part developer uses p-Aminophenol Hydrochlride.

Dr Momme Andresen (of Agfa) who discovered the developing agent p-Aminophenol and frormulated Rodinal published a one shot developer in the german publication "Agfa Photo-Handbuch" in the very early 1900's and while it's close it isn't Rodinal as it uses p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride. Agafa publications of the same era stress it uses the free base. This is a bit complex to make at home and wasn't then commercially available.

Modern Rodinal from Agfa contains a surfactant with anti-oxidant/anti-foggant properties, (these are in a 1930's German Patent). In addition the Agfa Rodinal made from the mid 1960's also contains Potassium Bromide.

There will be differences in how the early Andresen p-Amininohenol hydrochoride one shot developer your using works and Calbe's current RO9 and also Agfa's later new version sold now as adolux etc. Those differences may be subtle and harder to spot with many of todays emulsions, keeping properties may be quite different as well.

Todays films have a greater inherrent sharpness and fineness of grain which is less affected by choice of dveloper than in the past.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by drpsilver View Post
    I am trying to "tame the grain" of Delta 400.
    Depends on what you mean by "Tame" Rodinal is known for very sharp images, but with very sharp clear distinct grain. I have never used it with any of the Delta films, but on most films it shows the grain more clearly.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "Tame" Rodinal is known for very sharp images, but with very sharp clear distinct grain. I have never used it with any of the Delta films, but on most films it shows the grain more clearly.
    With Agfa APX 100 and Tmax 100 Rodinal gives a better alround performance than D76 finer & tighter grain, great tonal range and better sharpness, dilutte or replenished Xtol is quite similar in performance.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APX 100 / Rollei Retro 100 and Fomapan 100 are perfect matches in Rodinal (1+50, regular dilution). Also Efke 25-50 are good combinations although Beutler or FX-1 or Tetenal Neofin Blue are just superieur for Efke. These films like a very high acutance type developer.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have a bottle of Agfa Rodinal which may be 4 years old. When I reorder a replacement, what is the equivalent?
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I have a bottle of Agfa Rodinal which may be 4 years old. When I reorder a replacement, what is the equivalent?
    Adonal.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Ian,

John at J&C seems to have disappeared from photography all together as far as I know. Perhaps a case for Paul Temple...

Tom
    As Tom states, I recall J&C went beyond under when faced with lawsuits etc. This was years ago, and I sincerely doubt J&C "own" the name Rodinal. They were too small an operation to be able to afford it IF it were even up for sale.

John's business went under due to bad business practices and the like. I'm sure there's something around somewhere about the actual name Rodinal?.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin