Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,271   Online: 780

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    There is no perfect developer and there is nothing magical about Rodinal. If you have been satisfied with the developers you have been using then why change. If you change developer then remember there is a learning curve which must again be mastered.
    I wouldn't say that too loudly around here. Rodinal is the world's oldest film developer, and is indeed "magical". I'm fairly sure, everyone here has at least 1 bottle of it in their kit (I have 2, plus 2 Studional).

Sounds as though you've tried it, and didn't like it. That's fine, that's on you. But personally I wouldn't deter anyone from experiencing the magic that comes from printing (or scanning) a negative souped in Rodinal.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a bottle of Agfa Rodinal which may be 4 years old. When I reorder a replacement, what is the equivalent?
    4 y.o. could be Agfa Photo Rodinal or A&O Rodinal.

Replacement 1:1 can be:

R09 one shot/Rodinal CCP&S/Compard
    Fomadon R09 NEW (Foma)
    Adonal (Adox)

In fact all from the same manufacturer: CCP&S in Vaihingen - Enz, Germany. The old Agfa chemical plant.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And the packings can be:
    125ml or 500ml Silar (HD Polyethylene), old type Agfa packing.
    250ml Polyethylene
    330ml Softpack
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried it and didn't care for it though I'm willing and planning to give it another chance. But I don't believe any developer is magical either. Hoist the BS flag on that one. There is no magical developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    As Tom states, I recall J&C went beyond under when faced with lawsuits etc. This was years ago, and I sincerely doubt J&C "own" the name Rodinal. They were too small an operation to be able to afford it IF it were even up for sale.

John's business went under due to bad business practices and the like. I'm sure there's something around somewhere about the actual name Rodinal?.
    Hate to tell you different but it's easy to find where John Mikakais of J&C registered the Rodinal Trade mark in the US it was over 5 years ago in the February and believe me it HAPPENED

Get your facts right before assuming it was up for sale it wasn't, Agfa just failed to keep up the registration. Yes he ran a very dubious business but his poisonous legacy is Agfa themselves had no interest in taking back their Rodinal trade name/mark so no-one else can use it either.

Remember that Orwo had been paid to drop Agfa trade names, and Calbe was the former Orwo chemical division, so both Agfa and Calbe would have been against J&C passing off Calbe RO9 as Rodinal.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ... sold as Calbe RO9, APH09.

The problem is that the two versions don't behave quite the same. many German and Continental EU photographers prefer the older version which is why people like Mirko ant Fotoimpex sell and distribute both.

Ian
    I tried them side by side. Same film (APX 100), same light, same object. The density was slightly different but nothing else.

Please keep in mind: Rodinal and sisters don't like overdevlopment and high developing temperture - this lead to grainy results.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin