Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,204   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal Availability

06 Nov 2011

I know Agfa "died' several years ago, and with it many good papers and chemistry. However I heard that someone had purchased the formulation to Rodinal. Is it still available? If so, where and under what name? If not, any suggestions of an equivalent developer would be appreciated. My current developers are D76 and HC110.

Regards,
    Darwin
    Last edited by drpsilver; 11-07-2011 at 12:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected spelling errors

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or here if you are in the USA:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately John at J&C tried to pass off Calbe RO9 as genuine Rodinal by selling it packaged to look like the much later Agfa version, Agfa had neglected to keep the Trade Mark name registered it's now owned bt John.

This deciet has meant that no-one can now use the name, hence the confusion. It's also sold as Blazinal.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darwin,

Agfa is not gone. "Only" their consumer branch (with those materials most known to Apuggers) went into oblivion. They are still offering films, paper and chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are several versions on the market, and other threads here about that. Some are older formulations of the the Rodinal formula and some newer ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    There are several versions on the market, and other threads here about that. Some are older formulations of the the Rodinal formula and some newer ones.
    No there are only 2 versions on the market.

Genuine Agfa Rodinal as made fom the mid 1960's when the formula was changed at the time of Agfa's merger with Gevaert. This has an excess of Hydroxide and a higher pH and is now sold as Adonal, Blazinal. RO9 One shot etc but it's all made by the same factory.

Then there's the former Agfa Orwo version made by Calbe which uses a pre WWII Agfa formula, has a higher p-Aminophenol content but no free hydroxide and so a lower pH. this is sold as Calbe RO9, APH09.

The problem is that the two versions don't behave quite the same. many German and Continental EU photographers prefer the older version which is why people like Mirko ant Fotoimpex sell and distribute both.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian,

John at J&C seems to have disappeared from photography all together as far as I know. Perhaps a case for Paul Temple...

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Ian,

John at J&C seems to have disappeared from photography all together as far as I know. Perhaps a case for Paul Temple...

Tom
    I think Agfa threatened a major lawsuit which they'd have won, you can't pass a product off as something it isn't. You'll see J&C's packaging has the same colour scheme, pretty much the same Rodinal type face etc, I doubt Calbe were very impressed either. Then J&C also sold a lot of dodgy EFKE materials, essentially substandard with coating defects as well as miscut chinese LF films that wouldn't fit DDS. All in all not really a company you'd want to trade with.

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r09.jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin