Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,726   Online: 840

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wash the back of the Print?

When I wash my B&W resin-coated prints, I noticed that they tend to lie very flat in the wash tray, almost sticking to the bottom of it. The great majority of the wash-water flow is on the surface of the paper, and very little on the bottom. This got me thinking. Is it necessary to thoroughly wash the back of a sheet of B&W RC paper?

Jim B.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is not -- in theory it is just a resin-coated surface, so it should wash off quickly.

Edited to add: In practice, I agree with Ian and it is important that all of the print is well washed.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 11-08-2011 at 01:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Vaughan says it takes very little washing but the problems would arise if a poorly washed back of a print came into contact with the surface of another print later. So it's important to ensure prints wash feely without sticking to each other or the wash tray.

Ian

Images
    Good Afternoon, Jim,

Since you're tray washing (Kodak Tray Siphon??), just put the print in face down. Every brand of RC paper I've ever used will float. Minor pressure at the start will be enough to put the back of the print slightly under water. As Ian indicates, be sure to keep prints separated.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doesn't hurt to shuffle them during the wash either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use an archival washer which solves the agitation problem but is not really great on flow rate and number of water exchanges. Choosing a washer is not an easy thing. But I also thoroughly rinse my prints in running water right after fixing. The idea was to let them pile up, damp, in a tray before transferring them to the washer. But it also ensures that the back is pretty well rinsed clear of hypo.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin