Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,389   Online: 982

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If you want to encourage traffic between APUG and DPUG, encourage posting links between the sites in the threads themselves.

One could go as far as starting a matching thread (using the same title) in DPUG, then linking to it in the APUG thread where the subject first came up.

For example if Sean or David or ??? started a thread right now in DPUG titled "Encouraging Darkroom Use with Digital Negatives", linked to it in this thread, in the first post in the DPUG thread cross linked to this thread and the closed this thread down, what would happen?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have cleaned up the APUG forum list and added a new link to DPUG there. I've also added a new DPUG ad in the APUG footer. Next step is some external marketing for DPUG to drive further traffic. As for stats DPUG is now getting 100's of unique visitors a day and 80 or so individuals actually logging in per day. The registrations are also steadily increasing, having in a short time gone from 0-1 per day to now getting 3-5 registrations per day. If we can maintain 5 per day this will then slowly increase to 5-7, 7-10 and things will be fairly active. Keep in mind we've yet to do any marketing there, so the numbers aren't too bad considering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting thread... I have to say that I'd like to see APUG stay on topic as a board to discuss the analog or traditional side of photography, but appreciate that these days the hybrid workflow that many are engaged in may well serve to keep analog materials in demand. I've been shooting color film myself lately, and have decided to print digitally. If I have any questions about that, I plan to turn to DPUG, because I like the tone and civility that Sean has fostered here, and I trust a lot of the photographers here more than I might on just about any other forum. That said, DPUG has felt a bit like the neglected kid, and I think making it easier to integrate between the two via linked threads would help create the kind of community across both forums without diluting the strength of either one is the best way to go.

Hmmm... thinking out loud here, maybe a shared lounge space??

Anyway, Sean is only one person, and it's a big job, and I don't think DPUG can really get off the ground without the participation of a lot enthusiastic photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sean,

Very nice changes and plans for going forward. Excellent, actually .

d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I have cleaned up the APUG forum list and added a new link to DPUG there. I've also added a new DPUG ad in the APUG footer. Next step is some external marketing for DPUG to drive further traffic. As for stats DPUG is now getting 100's of unique visitors a day and 80 or so individuals actually logging in per day. The registrations are also steadily increasing, having in a short time gone from 0-1 per day to now getting 3-5 registrations per day. If we can maintain 5 per day this will then slowly increase to 5-7, 7-10 and things will be fairly active. Keep in mind we've yet to do any marketing there, so the numbers aren't too bad considering.
    Thank you! Sounds like a really great way to generate more traffic.

I also absorbed what you said about moving to a place that's less expensive, and so on, and I want to recognize the change you made, and applaud your effort to try to get DPUG up and really spinning. Good for you! I hope that eventually APUG and DPUG can really gel together, and that DPUG can actually be a tool to generate more interest in traditional products.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The majority of the time when I go to DPUG and click on New Posts the message is no new posts at this time. This is frustrating and at this time useless.

Sorry for opening this debate up Sean , you know my feelings about this site, it feels like home, there are more darkroom users here than on any other site, I feel comfortable and am really open to help, but I have to say that hybrid is the way of the future for all darkroom users, we need to get over this fact, I shoot and process as much film as most people on this site so I am comfortable with analoque, but printmaking is being driven to a hybrid approach, all the new papers and existing papers are being modified to accept laser exposure, making negs to lay on paper is historically correct and we are getting caught up with the simple fact that an computer assists us in doing our work these days.
    The simple fact is this- currently most of the best printers in the world that are hanging art in museums are using digital devices to assist them in their work, most of their end output is sanctioned by APUG , and historically the materials we use.
    I would like to see an area here for discussing all ways of making a fine print. otherwise I am going to go home and have a hissy fit.

I hope to post more students work as it comes in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see what relevance the contemporary prints in museums have. Most of it is shit anyway. It doesn't really convince me hybrid is the way of the future. There's no point to that. You might as well do the whole thing digital.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 12-01-2011 at 02:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I don't see what relevance the contemporary prints in museums have. Most of it is shit anyway. It doesn't really convince me hybrid is the way of the future. There's no point to that. You might as well do the whole thing digital.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I just got off the phone with Dinesh my mentor and pretty much same idea was proposed.

I start a thread in Dpug, link it by copying the title and announce it here, those here who want to see the thread can click and view, those not wanting too can put me on ignore,
    I will update on APUG as new info or posts gather on the Thread . It seems simple and maybe a better way of handling this.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.

If you want to encourage traffic between APUG and DPUG, encourage posting links between the sites in the threads themselves.

One could go as far as starting a matching thread (using the same title) in DPUG, then linking to it in the APUG thread where the subject first came up.

For example if Sean or David or ??? started a thread right now in DPUG titled "Encouraging Darkroom Use with Digital Negatives", linked to it in this thread, in the first post in the DPUG thread cross linked to this thread and the closed this thread down, what would happen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Wow
    Wow nothing, and I'm not intimidated by your wows either. Hybrid workflow will not save paper. Most people won't bite. They can create Lith and other effects with software. And I don't see how the amount of digital workflow in museums implies APUG needs to embrace it. I thought APUG was for analog processes. Trying to save paper production with hybrid processes is another matter.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 12-01-2011 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin