Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,996   Posts: 1,524,287   Online: 862

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lith_112_selenium_house027_blog.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	41452

this is Foma 112 in Rollei lith dev.
    I agree with everything that Thomas wrote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bob, if it is a class that hasn't done lith before, Fomatone is hard to beat. It is very easy to control and get good results with a wide range of exposures and agitation schemes. Fomabrom is a really interesting paper that I find it takes more effort (and pieces of paper!) to get what I want. I've never used the RC version of Fomatone so I don't know how that works. I've attached a couple of untoned examples to try to show the range of tones you can get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old sinclair station 1.jpg   20 and 9 Tenths,  Holden Village small.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob. Of the Foma papers, Fomatone 131 is my favorite. Lith fast, very colorful.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thank you all, I will post examples in December . I think I will give the 131 gloss a go.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The colour of the 131 changes as a session goes on, more than other papers I've tried.
    Here's the last photo from yesterday's printing session. I had started with about 6-7 minutes in the developer. By the time I got to this one, developing time was up to 35 minutes. I must say, the colour was a surprise. Usually the tones at this point are quite peachy/salmony. I've never had this colour before - someone dropped a few raspberries into the punch this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lilies, Lith.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    The colour of the 131 changes as a session goes on, more than other papers I've tried.
    Here's the last photo from yesterday's printing session. I had started with about 6-7 minutes in the developer. By the time I got to this one, developing time was up to 35 minutes. I must say, the colour was a surprise. Usually the tones at this point are quite peachy/salmony. I've never had this colour before - someone dropped a few raspberries into the punch this time.
    As you know it's your developer that exhausts. This can be mitigated by using a lot more of it, which I know Bob does. Something like several gallons of developer at once. When I process lith prints I use one gallon of developer in a 16x20" tray. 800ml of this is old brown, and I season the developer with a couple of sheets of useless paper before I start. The gallon gives me several consistent runs on 11x14 paper, and it takes a long time for the developer to start exhausting. The change is very slow.
    I've never seen that color with Fomatone either.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't complaining Thomas. I don't use a gallon, but I'm not printing 11x14 either. I usually start with 1 1/2 to 2 liters and plan my session for the colour change/more lengthy developing. I save negs I'd like to see in the "hotter" tones for the end of the day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I wasn't complaining Thomas. I don't use a gallon, but I'm not printing 11x14 either. I usually start with 1 1/2 to 2 liters and plan my session for the colour change/more lengthy developing. I save negs I'd like to see in the "hotter" tones for the end of the day.
    Oh, I wasn't implying that you were either... It's all good. I was just giving you an option to avoid raspberries if you wanted to.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Mr G recommended a paper for lith I think foma, I am teaching a local course on lith prints from digital negs and need a few recommendations . I usually use Ilford Warmtone but for this course
    I would like to try another paper that sepia and selenium tones well.

Sorry for the digi blasphemy word but I could not help myself.
    Bob
    If you're looking for colour Fomatone 131 Classic is the most colourful paper available,but you are dealing with highly dilute developer and 20 minuteish times. From what I remember of your lith prints pink colour may not be that important however. Even with stronger developer and shorter times is is still an excellent cadmium containing paper.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    FYI - I would rather have my teeth pulled out one at a time with no novacane , rather than do 20 minute development.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin