Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,201   Online: 1168

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most schools are still using film to teach kids basic photography 101 as well as offering digital courses later.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Saint Paul,on the road to Damascus

'Give me chastity,Lord,but not yet'.
    There,another Shibboleth ignored..
    Surely,any path to imaging which includes silver-halide is,or deserves to have,a place in these discussions ?
    No offence intended,but DPUG is almost moribund - cannot we tolerate a little 'evil imaging' talk without the huffing and puffing ?
    B.Carnie has some good points to make - I have started a custom B&W process service,and I know,from the feedback I get,that my customers are intending to sc*n their film -folks who don't have the time, or perhaps the space,but still want the unique qualities that film provides.
    As far as I am concerned,they are FILM users -what part of that is unacceptable here?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A small hybrid forum with an emphasis on the workflow (no computer and not too much photoshop talk) would be a good addition to Apug imho.
    People complaining on APUG about people wanting to know how to best scan their negatives are a little hypocritical since most of them scan their negatives in order to be able to show them to other Apug users. Criticizing people too much for asking how to best scan negatives might drive them to using Evil Cameras and completely abandon the analogue world.

Dominik

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes , but the more new people demanding the products we use will make it better for those of us on APUG who need the paper, is a great start.
    The schools need to see the reasons for at least keeping a sink line and exposing unit operating.
    I am just interested in the ability of talking about hybrid on APUG, one of the homes of darkroom printers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    This is a bit off topic so feel free to ignore it:

I have been meaning to start a brainstorming thread for people to offer ideas for promoting film and darkroom. Like: Give 20 cameras with 3 rolls of film each to 20 high school kids, w/ promise of developing and contact print for each roll. Or: Take gigantic donations from various extremely generous donors and assorted wealthy types and buy film paper chemistry in large shipments for giving away at schools, photography group prizes, etc??

Or, as Bob Carnie is doing, teaching local courses to just show kids and others how cool it is to watch the image come up in the dark.

Helping APUG become tolerant of hybrid discussion would be great, but wont save film and paper.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Most schools are still using film to teach kids basic photography 101 as well as offering digital courses later.
    Really? Our local college, which has an active arts program, dumped the darkroom from their photgraphy courses about 3 years ago. I bought a whack of 16x20 paper on sale when they closed down, but now there's no where in this small city to buy darkroom supplies.

Anything that keeps interest up in film and paper is good for all of us. I agree that DPUG doesn't really work. I know there was a hybrid sub-forum here, before I joined. I would have no objection to it returning. It can always be ignored by the purists. Personally I much prefer an all-analogue workflow, but I've used diginegs, and I've scanned and printed on inkjet. I'm sure there'll be reasons to do so again.

Apug's my 1st choice when I'm looking for photography information, or when I'm just surfing around putting in a few minutes on down-time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to add my "one bit" for a hybrid forum for all the reasons cited here. To return to Bob Carnie's original question, I'm interested to hear how Foma 532-II compares with 131/132 and 111/112 in terms of tint, development time (generally, comparatively) and ease of use. Great discussion here - thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too agree that analog photography, as a whole, would be better off if we allowed hybrid work flow discussion into a dedicated segment of the forums.

Has anybody pitched this idea to Sean Ross? And what is the response? Or do we need to do something about that?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone printing in analog should have a place at out family table. What better way to pull people into the light of analog? I tried to follow the digi-neg discussions on DPUG, but lost interest when I saw so few people there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't there some dispensation for groups? I recall people wanting to discuss cine film, where it is unavoidable to discuss telecine, Final Cut etc these days. They were told it was OK within a group & a cine group was started. Not sure how successful it was, but that would be irrelevant to the current discussion. I suppose my big fear is the general forum being taken over by people who want to argue about the difference between a 5D and a D3 - the mindless digi tech trivia seen on so many photo forums these days. Perhaps you can start a hybrid print group, get some keen interested members & share the knowledge you want there. It might get you where you want to be, rather than getting bogged down in a "Should APUG change?" debate.

I'm talking about the groups that operate within APUG, but you have to be a member to read them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin