Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,068   Online: 931

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

B&W paper chemistry study

I'm doing a study of how and why people use specific B&W paper chemistry products. Those products are listed below. I'm interested in feedback about the charateristics of each product, why you use this particular product, if you use it for any particular type of photography, and the advantages and disadvantages of each product.

The products are: Agfa Neutol-Plus LOR, Agfa Neutol-WA, Edwal G, Edwal Platinum II, Edwal TST, Edwal Ultra-Black Developer, Ilford 2000RT, Ilford 2150, Ilford Bromophen, Ilford Multigrade, Ilford PQ, Kodak Dektol, Kodak Ektaflo, Kodak Ektamatic S30 Stabilizer, Kodak Ektamatic SII Activator, Kodak Polymax T, Kodak Selectol Soft, Kodak Selectomat.

I'd much appreciate comments on any or all of these products, and I'll promise to share my study results with responding participants by November 4, 2004.

Thanks
    pavelww@comcast.net

Images
    What is the purpose of the study, what is your goal?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelww
    ....I'd much appreciate comments on any or all of these products, and I'll promise to share my study results with responding participants by November 4, 2004.

Thanks
    pavelww@comcast.net
    Not quite in the spirit of sharing analog knowledge me thinks

Shooter
    35mm
    The purpose of this study is academic. It's a required assignment at my college, and I'm also seeking to learn more about various chemicals. I'm at the intermediate B&W stage of learning.
    Pavelww

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, I dont know, but opinions are like orifices in your body, we all got one, and rarely are two the same. With exception of the Azo minions (kidding guys, lighten up,ok? ). I find it unusual that someone would assign a research paper on the opinions of people who use these developers. Could the question have been, we have made these paper developers available to you, test them and report your experiences?

Sorry for not providing any answers yet, but just want to make sure I am not making your homework.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use ethol LPD as a paper developer because it's cheap, last a long time and give deep blacks or warm tones depending on dilution
    I have also used Dektol, Agfa MC and Neutol, Ilford PQ universal
    I find AGFA Neutol to give good tonality but I'm hooked to LPD
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Here's a post that I made about Edwal Ultra Black last December:

I did some testing last night with Ilford MG RC and MG IV FB. This is just a first test with a single neg but it appeared that I could back off a half a grade over the same print souped in Dektol and still get a solid D-Max while seeing a slightly expanded range in the lighter tones. In other words, the shadows printed like a 2 1/2 while the highlights printed like a 2. I'm looking forward to trying it with a wider variety negs.
    I tested using a 1:11 dilution and a 2 1/2 minute developing time at around 70ºf.
    Since then, I have switched to using Polymax Fine Art paper in the less expensive and more ubiquitous Dektol 1:2 and have found the results excellent and IMHO, superior.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelww
    I'm doing a study of how and why people use specific B&W paper chemistry products. Those products are listed below. I'm interested in feedback about the charateristics of each product, why you use this particular product, if you use it for any particular type of photography, and the advantages and disadvantages of each product.

The products are: Agfa Neutol-Plus LOR, Agfa Neutol-WA, Edwal G, Edwal Platinum II, Edwal TST, Edwal Ultra-Black Developer, Ilford 2000RT, Ilford 2150, Ilford Bromophen, Ilford Multigrade, Ilford PQ, Kodak Dektol, Kodak Ektaflo, Kodak Ektamatic S30 Stabilizer, Kodak Ektamatic SII Activator, Kodak Polymax T, Kodak Selectol Soft, Kodak Selectomat.

I'd much appreciate comments on any or all of these products, and I'll promise to share my study results with responding participants by November 4, 2004.

Thanks
    pavelww@comcast.net
    I don't play around with different chemicals that much.
    I use Dektol and have for over 25 years. It is inexpensive, can be bought almost anywhere yellow things are sold and it gives great results!

Jorge told me what he uses Agfa Neutol-Plus LOR for, but I promised not to tell anyone. Some things are illegal, even in Mexico.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wouldn't call that a "study" so much as a "marketing survey." What's the rationale for this particular selection of products, some of which aren't even developers?

If you're interested in what various developers do, you can learn a lot more by mixing up a few trays of different types of developer and producing the best print you can from the same negative on the same paper with each of them. Pick a range that will give you clearly different effects--something standard like Dektol, a soft-working developer like Selectol Soft, maybe a glycin developer (Fine Arts Photo Supply and Photographer's Formulary sell them), and something like Weston's Amidol (Photo Formulary sells a kit). If you want to try mixing your own, you have even more options, and you'll learn even more about the chemistry of developers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I use a developer not included in your list : Beers, for contrast control.
    sergio caetano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin