Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,593   Online: 923

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: making D-76

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF

making D-76

I love the look of Tri-X in D-76, but one of the things I don't like about it is having to create the liquid in high volumes: the 1 liter package is too small, but the 1 gallon package is too large given my shooting volumes.

Today it occurred to me that I could just make it and use it right away, i.e. not keep a working solution around. Has anyone else done this? Anchell and Troop list the recipe for it and its variants. I assume it's straightforward to do. Do the components (metol, hydroquinone, sodium sulphite and borax) keep effectively indefinitely in powdered form)?

-jbl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty much yes and there are a number of people here who hand mix.

The stock solution will easily keep 6 months in a sealed air squeezed out soda bottle.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The individual components keep for years if well stored. Mine are a few years old for the most part and function fine.

D-76 is pretty easy to mix up, having relatively few ingredients.

Bear in mind you can also play with other interesting developers once you start to do this. D-22 comes to mind, which is simply metol and sodium sulfite.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The individual components keep for years if well stored. Mine are a few years old for the most part and function fine.

D-76 is pretty easy to mix up, having relatively few ingredients.

Bear in mind you can also play with other interesting developers once you start to do this. D-22 comes to mind, which is simply metol and sodium sulfite.
    I see that your keyboard has the same problem that mine has -- it is a lousy speller. Of course you mean D-23

Metol 7.5 g
    Sodiun sulfite, anhydrous 100.0 g
    Water to make 1.0 l

There is also D-76H which is a variant of D-76 without the hydroquinone developed by Grant Haist. This formula should not be confused with D-76h. There is a whole family of variants of D-76.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm a D-76 guy (and not just because I work for Kodak - and the opinion is my own not EKC's). I have only had it go bad on me one time in my life. That's why I stick with it.

I mix up a gallon and decant it immediately into four one-quart plastic bottles with fresh seals cut from the lids of Skippy peanut butter. The first three bottles are filled up to the top and I try to seal without letting any air in. The fourth bottle is a little shy. I just use it first.

These bottles last a long time in my opinion. Last batch mixed in April lasted until October. Sensitometer and densitometer show consistent times.

When I get into developing film, I'll make a couple runs and use up a bottle. It doesn't seem to hurt to leave a half-bottle around a week or two if I feel like stretching it out.

Sometimes I feel like switching to HC-110 because it is a concentrate you can mix up one-shot at any time.

I'm on a roll now... second bottle of the October batch is at 68-degrees so time to pour it in...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

i mix both fron scratch d-76 and d23
    both are great i used d 23 now for two jears and since a few months d-76.
    i always mix only one liter stocksolution and store it in 1/2 liter glassbottles with silicon stubbels (i hope thats the right word)

holds min. for 3 months but most time i mix new one all two or three weeks.

with some incredentias more you can mix some paper developers like dektol etc.

not cheaper but fun.
    --

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    None of these developers should be used immeciately after mixing, ideally they should be left overnight, so the answer to the OP is it's better to mix a batch, it'll keep over 6 months mixed up.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

oh yes!!!! thankyou ian
    --
    thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the help, here.

How concerned should I be about mixing the powders together? Can they go airborne easily? Do I need to worry about pets or others inhaling them? Do people typically wear masks while mixing or is that not necessary?

-jbl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    Thanks for the help, here.

How concerned should I be about mixing the powders together? Can they go airborne easily? Do I need to worry about pets or others inhaling them? Do people typically wear masks while mixing or is that not necessary?

-jbl
    No, they are not going to go airborne -- think of crystalline powders such as table salt. Besides. you are not going to be mixing powders together. You will be dissolving them in water in the order that they are given in the formula. When one chemical has dissolved then you can add the next one.

The only exception is when dealing with Metol. In this case a small amount of the sodium sulfite is dissolved, then the Metol and then the rest of the sulfite. This is done because Metol dissolves only with difficulty in concentrated sodium sulfite solutions.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin