Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,742   Online: 876

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I looked some up on the internets, I guessing one of those is pretty expensive, no?
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Hmmmmm. I wonder if Broccoli extract affects the green sensitivity of the emulsion....?
    Only if the Broccoli was grown using artificial fertilizer
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All glassware of this nature is very very expensive.

If you break one, it is better to take a glass blowing course and then try to repair it rather than buy a new one! I did that and fixed a few of my lab pieces. But, OTOH, the fix often does not last due to stress.

PE

ascorbic acid effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C
    My 200g Broccoli contained ~ 90mg x 2 = 0.18g ascorbic acid.

PP-2 (no Broccoli in this)
    Ascorbic Acid.........................0.18g
    Sodium Carbonate anh 1%.......600ml
    This was heated to 100C for 15min with stirring, then cooled
    Phenidone in isopropyl alcohol....0.1g

The idea was to see if the heating decomposes ascorbic acid.
    Tri-X EI=200 was developed in PP-2 30m 20C ag 10s/min.
    The negatives were thinner than those from the Broccoli extract PP-1 but still printable.
    Hence ascorbic acid does contribute to the development and may even cause all the regeneration of phenidone in the Broccoli extract PP-1.

I am sorry I have not been able to cast more light on how the Broccoli extract PP-1 works but it appears that if one starts with a plant that contains ascorbic acid it is going to be difficult to determine the effect, if any, of plant phenol.
    Thanks to the poster who pointed out the possible effect of ascorbic acid.

In another experiment, Broccoli extract without phenidone (PP-3) was prepared by heating 200g Broccoli at 100C in 1% sodium carbonate anh solution with stirring for 15 min ,filtering and making up to 600ml.
    Tri-X EI=200 was developed in PP-3 40m 20C ag 10s/min.
    The result was a blank film with some fog.
    The Broccoli extract did not work without the phenidone.

I agree with the post #18, the activity of the Broccoli extract PP-1 is pretty low.
    Green tea, for example, might be more active.
    Caffenol is well investigated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Only if the Broccoli was grown using artificial fertilizer

Touche'

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    Many plant chemicals contain phenolic groups (as do hydroquinone,pyrogallol,pyrocatechol).I tried to extract the phenols from Broccoli by heating 200g Broccoli in 1% sodium carbonate (anh) solution at 100C for 15min with stirring.After filtering this Broccoli extract I added some Phenidone dissolved in isopropyl alcohol.

PP-1 developer:
    Extract of 200g Broccoli
    Phenidone .................0.1g
    Sodium Carbonate 1% to 600ml.

I checked that phenidone alone was not doing the developing by developing old APX 400 30m 20C ag 10s/min in PP-1 without the Broccoli extract.The negatives were very thin and flat.
    For the test, APX 400 at EI=200 was developed in PP-1 30m 20C ag10s/min.
    The negatives were slightly underdeveloped but otherwise good.The attachments show the full negative and a 0.2in square section.

To see if there was any tanning I bleached the negs in 100g/L ferricyanide/bromide and fixed them.No relief image or tanning could be seen.
    This surprised me as I expected plant phenols to be like hydroquinone,pyrogallol, pyrocatechol and tan the negatives.The only explanation I can find is that the oxidation products of Broccoli phenols are not very stable and do not spread through the gelatin (Photographic Processing Chemistry, LFA Mason 1975 p172).Of course all this does rely on the assumption that it is the phenols from Broccoli that are involved in the developing.
    Thanks for comment.
    Perhaps you could make an Anthotype from Broccoli and then develop it in Broccoli solution!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonenameddavid View Post
    human urine developer...... Urinal

David
    there is a guy on flickr who currently does this...

i'm sticking to coffee for the moment ...

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about Popeyenol, based on spinach? That would be a great name for a push developer.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Possible Olive Oyle as a developer too?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin