Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,625   Online: 976

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Developer from Broccoli

Many plant chemicals contain phenolic groups (as do hydroquinone,pyrogallol,pyrocatechol).I tried to extract the phenols from Broccoli by heating 200g Broccoli in 1% sodium carbonate (anh) solution at 100C for 15min with stirring.After filtering this Broccoli extract I added some Phenidone dissolved in isopropyl alcohol.

PP-1 developer:
    Extract of 200g Broccoli
    Phenidone .................0.1g
    Sodium Carbonate 1% to 600ml.

I checked that phenidone alone was not doing the developing by developing old APX 400 30m 20C ag 10s/min in PP-1 without the Broccoli extract.The negatives were very thin and flat.
    For the test, APX 400 at EI=200 was developed in PP-1 30m 20C ag10s/min.
    The negatives were slightly underdeveloped but otherwise good.The attachments show the full negative and a 0.2in square section.

To see if there was any tanning I bleached the negs in 100g/L ferricyanide/bromide and fixed them.No relief image or tanning could be seen.
    This surprised me as I expected plant phenols to be like hydroquinone,pyrogallol, pyrocatechol and tan the negatives.The only explanation I can find is that the oxidation products of Broccoli phenols are not very stable and do not spread through the gelatin (Photographic Processing Chemistry, LFA Mason 1975 p172).Of course all this does rely on the assumption that it is the phenols from Broccoli that are involved in the developing.
    Thanks for comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broccoli whole neg-1.jpg   Broccoli section-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice work. I started out my science career working with plant extracts. The only problem I see with your truly new developer is that phenols and other chemicals contained in Broccoli and other plants vary highly. They are affected by the growing conditions, age of the plant and horticultural variety used. It would be nice to have a developer that had the same streignth each time it was mixed up. I think "Broccinal" may not be consistent from batch to batch. (or is it bunch to bunch)

But I could be wrong. Only real tests like yours will tell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan, I'm no chemist, but for what it's worth I really enjoy reading your experimental posts. It's fascinating to think about the variety of sources of silver halide reducing agents.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like mine with cheese.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amazing!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Now I know what to do the broccoli that my kids consistently leave on their plates !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is amazing! So let me ask if doing a roll of film is considered a serving of vegetable?

I now feel secure in knowing the grocery store will supply me with photographic chemicals long after commercial suppliers have vanished.

Is there any chance that some of the power of the extract might come from vitamin C, or would all the vitamin C be destroyed by the "cooking" process?

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is probably the most interesting/odd post I have seen on here - I love it! I can't wait to hear more about this!
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is bad reticulation evident on the second thumbnail. Any thoughts? Temperature? pH? Broccoli induced softening? Broccoli induced swell?

PE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin