Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,984   Posts: 1,523,913   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Real Matte paper

I am finishing up a box of Adorama matte paper I bought a few years back. Been kept cool, and is still sensitive. I like flat, matte paper. It can be hard to get a good spectrum of grey with the right contrast, but when I get it, the result is really wonderful. I have heard that the new Adorama matte, is not true flat matte paper. I have heard that the Ilford is. Have any of you other Matte paper users found a brand that you like. Any input appreciated. Thanks, Robert

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I believe there really aren't too many matte papers left. There is Ilford MGIV matte, Fomabrom matte which says it is a hair warm and then Slavich graded (which seems to not be imported to the US anymore) and last Varycon matte. Not many choices, I use Ilford and love it though I have not tried the others....

Note I presume you are not interested in warm tone mattes - right? Otherwise there are lots more out there, plus art 300 but that prints a little warm...you want dead deep black and white cold matte or you interested in getting a little warm?
    Last edited by zsas; 11-17-2011 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The most matte paper I know of is Ilford MGFB

All the other matte papers have some sheen to them - making them semi-matte in reality

The semi-matte surfaces have a beauty of their own but if you are after a dead matte finish then the Ilford paper is your best bet

However, if you want to try a very nice semi matte paper - Adox Fine Print Vario Classic with a Matt finish

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the input guys.I will probably go ahead and buy some Ilford, as I really do like the true matte finish. The old Adorama has been great, however, it is somewhat of a warm tone. I like to selenium tone my final prints, as this affords the effect I prefer. Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look at the Fomabrom 112, that very matt.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Martin - wow in the States we don't have avail the Adox Matte FB that you mention, like Robert I have always wondered about other mattes, I am glad to hear you report that the Adox is not as matte as Ilford. I am happy because that means for me that I don't have to evaluate another paper and can stick with MGIV matte forever! Woo hoo, I do love it anyway and am glad to hear they are as good (ie cold, black and matte) as it gets!

Robert I have been thrilled w Ilford MGIV matte and it gets so amazing when toned (gold or selenium).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    SMBooth - does Forma have a hint of warmness to it? I once considered it but saw this statement in their spec sheet:

"In general
    FOMABROM is an universal black-and-white photographic paper on a baryta paper base. It is manufactured using silver chlorobromide emulsion that gives a neutral-to- medium warm tone to the resulting silver image. The paper features a very rich halftone scale ranging from shining whites to deep blacks. Its high speed makes it possible using large lens diaphragms values even when making big size enlargements."

Per
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/products...h/Fomabrom.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    SMBooth - does Forma have a hint of warmness to it? I once considered it but saw this statement in their spec sheet:

"In general
    FOMABROM is an universal black-and-white photographic paper on a baryta paper base. It is manufactured using silver chlorobromide emulsion that gives a neutral-to- medium warm tone to the resulting silver image. The paper features a very rich halftone scale ranging from shining whites to deep blacks. Its high speed makes it possible using large lens diaphragms values even when making big size enlargements."

Per
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/products...h/Fomabrom.pdf
    Yes, ever so slightly, has a creamish base too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Arista EDU Ultra is a pretty good choice for a really matte paper too. Might be the same as Foma mentioned above as it`s a little creamy too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford is Matte. Haven't used others but the Ilford it just right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin