Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,409   Online: 1027

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sodium Carbonate replacement

I'm re-examining many of my long time assumptions:

When using Arm & Hammer washing soda in place of Sodium carbonate is it used as a mono-hydrate or anhydrous?

TIA,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    anyhydrous

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    i think.

OOP'S, you're in the same boat as I am....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everything I've been able to find online indicates that the monohydrate is the most stable form---the others tend to change into it over time in normal storage conditions. You can get it in the anhydrous form (e.g., from the Formulary), but in a cardboard washing-soda box it would pick up water molecules from the air and turn into monohydrate even if it didn't start that way.

Disclaimer: I'm repeating what I've read, so I'm only as sure as my trust in my sources (which, however, include some of the Actual Chemists here on APUG).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    This states that Arm & Hammer Washing Soda is 85% sodium carbonate, 15% water, so itís probably not anhydrous.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/house...nds&id=3005022

The monohydrate form has a mass of about 124g/mol, while the anhydrous form is about 106g/mol.

(106g/mol)/(124g/mol) = 0.85, which is about the stated percentage of sodium carbonate in Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.

Based on this, my estimate is that itís the monohydrate form.

Perhaps one of our experienced chemists will contribute an authoritative answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i suppose you could force out some of the water
    by heating it up in your oven on a cookie sheet
    the same way you would "convert" baking soda into
    sodium carbonate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is the monohydrate form and is essentially technical grade and contains a small amount of sodium chloride and a smaller amount of iron. It is good enough for paper developers but not for ascorbate developers where the iron may be a problem.

A purer form can be obtained by heating Arm & Hammer Bicarbonate of Soda which is USP grade. I would recommend doing this for developers such as Xtol substitutes and for the Beutler formula.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-19-2011 at 02:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin