Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,551   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

120 film Question

I've found 100 ft. rolls of 35mm. Where can I get my hands on 120 film in bulk?

Thanks.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends where you are in the world. Any local shops may offer you a discount on a multiple order. Or shop around mail order, many suppliers offer reduced prices for 10 or 100 films.....the internet is your friend in this case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    ou can buy 120 films in bulk, in ten or 20 roll packs, or perhaps larger packs, but most 120 comes in singles or 5 packs, so your best option is to look for singles in multiples and 5 packs in multiples .
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    120 is not sold in 100 foot rolls, because it needs its paper backing. They used to sell 70mm long rolls and some medium format cameras, like Hasselblad and Mamiya RB-67, could be fitted with special long-roll 70mm backs to take it. High volume portrait studios often used it. I don't think the film is made anymore, because the 70mm Hasselblad backs in EX condition often go for less than $50 while 120 backs cost 3 times that.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    I've found 100 ft. rolls of 35mm. Where can I get my hands on 120 film in bulk?

Thanks.
    There's no such thing. You may as well try to find the mythical holy grail, or Unicorn. With 120, you have to stop thinking in 35mm terms. It's a completely different animal.

If your goal is to save money on the film you use, 120 is not the format for that.

Have you even checked to see if the films you use in 35 is even available in MF? Not very many are, and more films are being dropped every day (Plus-X as a recent example).
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may still be able to get 70mm film in large rolls: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...erecon_II.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    If your goal is to save money on the film you use, 120 is not the format for that.
    Sure it is, if you are coming from 4x5 or larger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Sure it is, if you are coming from 4x5 or larger
    Indeed, the "roll" of 5x7 I just bought was 100 USD. 120 is cheap in comparison.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Indeed, the "roll" of 5x7 I just bought was 100 USD. 120 is cheap in comparison.
    So stop complaining about the cost, and drop WAAYY down to 35mm as the original poster is currently shooting, and save a bundle. But don't complain about the drop in quality.

As I also stated in that post "you get what you pay for."
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have cut and slit bulk 70mm narrower so as to allow reloading of previously used 120 spools and backing paper.

It can save you cash if the 70mm roll is the right price, but it is also a big PIA.

It is no longer worth it to me , having tried this route re-loading 20 rolls.

I now use the bulk 70mm in a modified polariod J66 to shoot C-41 Portra negs that end up 70mm wide x 4" long per exposure.
    Modifying a Paterson reel to load a 5' long piece of 70mm is the PIA of this approach though.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin