Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,535   Online: 1388

Shooter
    35mm

Uprating Ilford Delta 400 in Ilford DD-X

Hi all.
    Have read reports (can't remember where now) that if you uprate Delta 400 to 800ASA in Ilford DD-X developer using the times and dilution on the bottle, the negs come out too contrasty or too flat (again can't remember which or find the articles). The article talked about using the developing times on the bottle for ASA above or below that shown to solve the problem. I have exposed the film at 800ASA and got an unopened bottle of this developer. Has anybody tried this combination and could offer advice on temperatures, dilution and agitation before I develop the film. The photos were taken indoors under artificial lighting. Also got a roll of Tri X exposed at 800 ASA which I would like to develop in the same developer.
    Thanks
    Last edited by RJStent; 11-20-2011 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enclose a link to Ilfords website where you can find the information you need under fact sheets . Times are listed for all Ilford films and also several non-Ilford, among them Tri-X . As usual these figures are only starting points but in most cases they are quite accurate. If you want to go for ISO 800 in the future, I think HP5+ is a better choice than Delta 400 .
    Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...lm+Developers#
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Could it be that you are confusing D400 with D3200 where the common consensus is that you use the dev times for the next speed up with DDX. So if you expose for 1600 you use the Ilford quoted time for 3200.

I can't recall any general consensus that D400 needs similar treatment which isn't to say that there isn't someone out there who does exactly that and swears by it.

However I'd be inclined to follow Ilford's times for D400 at the speeds quoted to start with. They will close. You will not get disastrous negs by so doing.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for that. I was obviously muddling delta 400 with 3200. Developed it according to the times on the bottle and the negs are great. Reasonably fine grain and contrast and lots of detail. I'll see what happens with Tri X at 800 ASA when I finish the film.
    RJStent

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for advice. I developed the film as per instructions on the bottle and the negs were fine. Someone else reminded me that is is Delta 3200 that should be exposed for 1600 you use the Ilford quoted time for 3200.
    Regards
    RJStent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    D400 makes good speed, so its not a huge push to 400. it will be somewhat contrasty, but if the light is average to flat, it will be fine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin