Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,387   Online: 705

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Processing found 116 film.

Hello,
    I bought a Kodak No. 1A Junior Model A folder and it arrived yesterday. To my surprise when I opened the camera there was a roll of exposed 116 film completely wound on the take up spool. I want to process it but I would like some suggestions on the best way to process the film. I do not have a 116 reel but I do have an adjustable reel that goes as far as 120 and I can expand it to the size of the film, I'm thinking of using some kind of tape on the reel stem to hold it in place then manually rolling the film but that may not be the best idea if the chemicals start to eat away at the tape and the developer and fix become contaminated.

The spool that the film was on when new is wooden so that obviously indicates the film is quite old. I'm not sure when Kodak stopped using wooden spools.

The only developer I have with me at the moment is Adonal (Rodinal). I did process a very old roll of 127 (probably from late 1930s) this past spring with Rodinal and I there were a couple of images on it that my Epson scanner was able bring up.

I am thinking of pre soaking it for about 5 minutes and using Adonal 1/25 for about 8 minutes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Chrismat; 11-22-2011 at 11:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Go to the hardware store and buy a stainless steel bolt, nut, and washers to hold the expanded film reel together. I would use D-76 (Kodak) to develop this. 12 minutes would be the time, I would use in full strength. I believe that D-76 has been used since the 1920's. Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bolt, nut and washer idea sounds great, I'm going to do that. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If that doesn't work, or you want to try the tape anyway, masking tape should work fine. Won't be a problem in the chemistry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Use a tray. PUt enough developer in the tray tot cover the rolled up film. holding the film lightly with one hand, pull the film across the tray and let it roll up again. then repeat the process the other direction.
    No bolts, no new reels, just th old fashioned method of developing roll film
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    116/616 (70mm) reels occasionally turn up on ebay. I got one in a large lot of reels recently. I've not processed a lot of really old film, but I would think a low fog developer would be best - maybe HC110.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I last posted I did find a tank that expands to 116 on Ebay so I decided to purchase it, the price was good. Even if nothing comes out with the film I can always use it for 35mm or 120. I think I will go with HC-110 for the developer, I'll order that next week.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Nice find. I hope you get pictures. I found a similar roll in my sister's garage sale Brownie #2. We got 5 pictures out of 8 that were readable. Pictures appeared to be from around 1959.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hope you get some images -

I've found that old film sometimes has a lot of "spring" from being wound up for decades. Sometimes so much it's hard to put on the reel. I've found that unreeling the film (in the dark, of course) and putting it in a developing tank (without reel) for a few hours can help the film "relax" so it's easier to roll onto the reel. I've also had old film break when trying to unreel it - but it was probably hopeless anyway. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a good idea about the putting the film in the developing tank for a few hours. I'll give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin