Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,871   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The tone reproduction curve will be buggered. If you print the low zones the way you want and print the highlights the way you want, the middle zones will be too dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Reading about HC-110, it says that it produces an "upswept curve." I get the basics on curves, but I am having a hard time visualizing what this means. Can someone translate this into plain English?
    Where did you find this information? I'm curious as this is much too rigid a statement and not necessarily correct.

If you go here: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4017/f4017.pdf

You will see that the curve shape depends on time of development and also dilution and developer type. You can select the curve you want from these families of curves and do it to suit your taste or your project needs.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE is correct. This thread is misleading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    PE is correct. This thread is misleading.
    While I'd venture to say PE is almost/probably/undoubtedly always correct I'll disagree with this entire thread being misleading.
    The title is about upswept curves not necessarily HC110

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fair enough. But if someone wants depressed shadow separations and high highlight contrast, underexpose and keep the concentration of the developer strong. Better yet, use a film that inherently has an s-shaped curve. Or use a film like Acros which exhibits maximum contrast in areas of high exposure. HC-110 is not much different than your average PQ developer but tends to produce slightly lower speed than say XTOL, hence the lower shadow contrast, unless you simply give the film a little more exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used nothing but HC-110 for years, and as PE and others have pointed out it isn't necessarily an "upswept curve" developer, or doesn't have to be, as I've lots of negs I've dev w/ it midday in the sun that could easily be mistaken for D-76.

BUT, w/ that, if you do want that long toe + no shoulder curve, HC-110 is a great developer to get there. Little less exposure, a little more aggressive agitation in developer, and...viola. Doing this ime, it retains a micro-contrast and highlight separation that I've personally never been able to replicate in other standard developers (d-76, xtol) which encourage a shoulder (not a bad thing). Of course, it's not just about the highlights, rather about where all the tones lay in relation to each other, and then all the more important things come into play, like light and exposure.

Anyway, best thing to do is to just try it. Take some TX, Hp-5, neopan 400, TMY. Expose a subject at box speed in flat light. Put it in HC-110 1+47 for about 8-9 min at 68 degrees, agitate, try a few more rolls, adjust, see what you think. These are rough starting points. It's a very very flexible developer. Very. I do suggest using a more classic S curve or linear curve film like one of those, b/c they sort of balance out that notion of building the upswept curve...if you try it w/, say, TXP, it can be a bit too much of a good thing so to speak (though people do have success w/ it).

The following link is TX at 400 in HC-110 as above. I think it displays a classic upswept curve's focus on the highlights, or in this case grays but that's how I liked it: http://freetheyounggiant.tumblr.com/...raeme-mitchell (not my tumblr page, but someone posted a pic of min I don't have online, so helpful here as a reference).

Mostly though, I use HC-110 b/c it's easy and cheap and replenishes nicely. It's look is nice for me, but I'd loose no enthusiasm for making pics if I was forced to find a look w/ something else tomorrow. B/c I imagine w/ TMY and D-76 I could make the same tones w/ a little testing.

Have fun w/ it.
    Last edited by GraemeMitchell; 11-24-2011 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This portrait may be a better example, since it's a more "proper" exposure, but still TX in HC-110: http://graememitchell.com/blog/wp-co...rance_dore.jpg

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the upswept curve reference is from here

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

I'm not the OP, but that's what I remembered reading when I saw this thread. Though the linked article says "Although I have not made detailed tests, it appears that HC-110 tends to produce an "upswept" characteristic curve with relatively high contrast in highlights (dark areas of the negative, light areas of the picture)."

-jbl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That link shows one curve (Upswept) from a large family of curves with possible development times and films. It is therefore highly misleading. I don't suggest that this be taken as an absolute but rather one of a myriad of possible curves with HC-110.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I don't suggest that this be taken as an absolute but rather one of a myriad of possible curves with HC-110.

PE
    If you read the post, I pointed that out pretty clearly: that it was an example of one possibility. So I don't get your "misleading" bit. Sorry. After all, the whole point here is to show some examples of an upswept curve (which I personally love). HC-110 does it particularly well w/ some films. Had I posted a shot done in neopan 400 in xtol...now that'd be misleading.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin