Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 839

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

ORWO N75 Plus 400 35mm Film Test

I got some ORWO N75 Plus 400 film yesterday. There are some threads on this film out there. I will mention that it is an inexpensive 35mm negative movie film with rotary process and still photography characteristics unknown to myself.

The first test shown here is a test of film speed. This is a test relative to fresh Tri-X. Both films were exposed with a Wejex Daylight sensitometer and processed together about 30 minutes after exposure. Processed in Jobo CPP2 6 min at 24C in T-max developer one-shot. Films read with a calibrated Tobias TCX transmission densitometer.

The speed of each film was determined and Tri-X was defined as "400" to see where the ORWO falls relative to that. A 'minimum gradient' film speed test was done, rather than a '0.1 fixed value' test to avoid having to create a series of curves for each film.

The results are in the following graph.

The ORWO is a fast film but it is just slightly slower than Tri-X. In terms of error of this method, I'm using a standard deviation of 0.3 DIN units per the paper by Nelson on W-Speed.

So that gives Tri-X a range of 27.3 to 26.7 DIN and ORWO a range of 26.7 to 26.1, so they almost overlap.

I'll say they are very close. Based on this I'll meter them the same.

This was not a development test pre say, but I can see that the ORWO does not respond as well as Tri-X to Tmax developer. I'll probably use a time that is 25% greater than my time for Tri-X.

SPECS: ORWO emulsion number N62-1, Roll 1711 25d, Box speed 400 daylight, 250 Tung.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for performing these tests. I look forward to seeing some images from this film.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Well done IC-racer!! Thank you! You are right! ORWO needs more developing time. It's Dmax is only 1.3. Even more than 25%. I'm looking forward to try slower ORWO film. I hope very soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I interpret fog level as an indicator of how long film as been sitting around before I buy it. My Tri-x (100ft) came from a refrigerator at a local dealer a few weeks ago and the ORWO came in the mail the day before the test. Results are as follows:

Film base plus fog:
    Tri-x = 0.33
    ORWO = 0.41

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Just to be fair, ic-racer, Kodak is Kodak and TRI-X is one of the best films ever made. Under no circumstances I can't except those two films to be direct competitors. I haven't use fresh ORWO in more than 18 years and I'm looking forward to try their new emulsions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Just to be fair, ic-racer, Kodak is Kodak and TRI-X is one of the best films ever made. Under no circumstances I can't except those two films to be direct competitors. I haven't use fresh ORWO in more than 18 years and I'm looking forward to try their new emulsions.
    Although that Tri-X was fried a little (gamma was around 0.9) that ORWO looks like it has a straighter curve. I'm keeping an open mind. All I know is that ORWO wants to be your 35mm film supplier and Kodak, well I don't know that they want...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a curve for OWRO N75 processed a little longer to more closely match the slope of the Tri-X. In this case the films were processed individually, but the other conditions were held reasonably constant.

The two film curves look very similar. Speed is very close.

Last edited by ic-racer; 11-24-2011 at 10:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great to see some data, (especially since I have a roll of the stuff on order.) how is the grain?
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Great to see some data, (especially since I have a roll of the stuff on order.) how is the grain?
    At 6 minutes the grain is very similar on both test strips. With 8 min on the ORWO the grain is slightly more pronounced than the TriX at 6 minutes.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Guys,
    I did my first film run with new ORWO UN-54 developed in Agfa Rodinal 1:50.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-ORWO-UN54-2-C1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	427.2 KB 
ID:	43193
    Also, there are few more pictures on my Flickr

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin