Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,203   Online: 984

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Art 300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    The base is indeed the HAHNEMUEHLE Photo Rag base, my thinking is that the 'Ink Jet' coating ( dispersion ) that goes on that degrades and matts the image, where as the Photo coating does not...
    Perhaps more the other way around? The back of the paper feels like Photo Rag, but the surface with the photo coating makes it quite different. I can see upon further examination under high magnification that my original thought that this was in fact a resin/fiber hybrid seems to be the case. I've had some prints soaking for a couple of days in order to separate them from the coating and having done so can see that it is a very thin plastic or resin coating on the paper. It is kind of rubbery. I'm guessing this would account for its tendancy to float on the surface of the water as well as for the shorter wash times? Also for the the fact that it lays so flat and doesn't curl like other fiber based papers.

Thanks for the information, Simon. It is very much appreciated and anything you can pass along from the people in product development would be great. If the paper is in fact a resin or plastic hybrid, my concern is that it will degrade over time much as resin coated papers do and won't be truly archival as in the case with other fiber based papers.

Edit: Here is a magnified scan of what I am talking about. It definitely feels and stretches like plastic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papertest1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	42495
    Last edited by billschwab; 12-02-2011 at 12:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Paper swatches in resellers.....

Ahhhhh.... sometimes resellers do not put them out?....because people 'nick' them....I know 100% as a fact that no APUG member would ever do that, but possible passing D*****L photographers do...

As a fact they cost about $ 30.00 per swatch to make...so to be absolutely honest we are not very generous giving them out either.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Many of us only have online stores to buy from. There isn't a half-decent photo store within a days' drive from me now. I miss living in MA - I remember seeing the swatch booklets out at Newtonville Camera. That was actually one reason I was comfortable picking one when I switched away from another paper manufacturer in the 90s.

There is a sheen, but I don't really find it objectionable in what I've printed so far. I still haven't had a chance to do any coloring, but I can't wait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to be able to try it for less money than the cheapest packs cost. B&H doesn't list it. At Freestyle (never the cheapest on paper but I do like to support them) the least expensive packages are 10 sheets of 11x14 or 50 sheets of 5x7, both priced at $32.39. That's a bit more than I want to pay just to try out a new paper. How about a 10 sheets of 8x10 trial pack?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm also concerned about the blacks; they're rich for sure, but it seems as though small gradations get lost in the textured sparkle of the paper. So, I went to work with some renaissance wax. After a couple coats the glistening was gone, but so was the rich (IFWT like) black - a look I think many who are after a more traditional matte black would appreciate. I didn't spent too much time exploring coat thickness, but I'd imagine a happy medium could be met somewhere between a dead flat black which reveals all the detail in the lower tones, and what we're given to begin with.
    Joe Freeman

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^ Interesting. Joe, do you have a scan or photo of a print you can post?
    Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't. I tried it months ago on a work and have since tossed the print.
    Joe Freeman

Shooter
    Large Format
    *work print
    Joe Freeman

Shooter
    35mm
    Bill Scwabb asked Simon Galley of Ilford whether Ilford Art 300 was a resin/fibre hybrid based on his experience of it. An interesting question and as that was almost a month ago I'd have thought that an answer might have been given by now.

It would be interesting to see Ilford's comments on Bill's question

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^ I thought Simon's reply was posted in a different thread

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...0-samples.html
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    ^ I thought Simon's reply was posted in a different thread

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...0-samples.html
    Thanks Andy. I had simply kept abreast of this thread not realising that a very similar but maybe not identical post had been made by Bill Schwabb on the thread to which you refer. In its reply Ilford doesn't exactly state what the base is in relation to the RC-FB spectrum but my interpretation of the answer is that Art 300 isn't baryta and isn't as archivally sound but is still superior to RC's lifespan which is the only one given a range of life in the Ilford reply.

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin