Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,744   Posts: 1,515,603   Online: 961

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Art 300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ilford Art 300

Really enjoy working with Ilford's new textured art photographic paper.
    Just be careful when handilng wet, it does damage easily.
    When it dries, it doesn't curl that much and when washing I have noticed that the prints like to float to the top if washing in a tray with a Kodak syphon.
    It is nice to have Ilfords various fibre papers - thanks guys
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree. I've just printed with this paper in the past week or two, and what a pleasure.

Absolutely thrilled with everything to do with this new product -- the tones, the ease of use, the relatively flat drying. Everything.

Ilford, thank you. This is a winner.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a box almost a month ago and have been itching to try it. I was finally able to use it this week. I really want to see how it handcolors. What strikes me is how much it looks like the prints we found in the table at my grandmother's house (photos from the early 1900s). I printed a portrait of my grandmother on it and I really like it.
    I think I'm using lower contrast filters than I usually would and a bit more light overall.
    The floating drives me a little nuts, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Art paper base floats...really sorry, at least you do not have to wash it as long as baryta...

Tim Rudman uses a vertical archival wash and just pops a film clip on the bottom of the paper..

Winger: it hand colours very nicely.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Large Format
    I also think this paper is just about perfect, I love the eggshell texture, it works great in the highlights where you expect a slight sheen, but to me, not as well in the darks where you have to be at the right angle to avoid unwanted sheen. Is there any tricks to lower the sheen? That's the only thing that keeps me from using this paper as my standard paper.
    Steven
    Last edited by squinonescolon; 11-28-2011 at 08:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squinonescolon View Post
    I also think this paper is just about perfect, I love the eggshell texture, it works great in the highlights where you expect a slight sheen, but to me, not as well in the darks where you have to be at the right angle to avoid unwanted sheen. Is there any tricks lower the sheen? That's the only thing that keeps me from using this paper as my standard paper.
    Steven

That is indeed my only real gripe with this paper. Yes, it does float, the base is delicate when wet, etc, but I can live with all of that, and I have gone through 3 boxes of 11x14 already. But, I do feel that the sheen really robs the blacks/dmax but quite a lot when dry. Most of the time, I'm fighting with it to get a viewing angle that pleases me in that department.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The thing is, you can 'fix' all the other things by just working differently, and I think that's not much to ask of us in order to use a great paper. But the glossiness in the darks, I don't know how to fix that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with the basic goodness of this paper . . . and the problem of sheen in the blacks. Is the problem solved by framing behind glass?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    no need to apologise, it is great paper and that is just one of the characteristics
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I talked with my Ilford rep in Canada. They're very pleased with the sales figures on this new product. In fact 5x7 is the only size that is in stock. The rest are sold out and gone to backorder.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin