Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,091   Online: 939

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, stop being a woosie and just mix the danged developer. Heat 3l of water to 140f and pour the powder in and stir until all disolved. Pour in the remaining cool water to make one gallon. Let it sit until all apparent air is out, then decant into smaller bottles to filled, cap tightly with no air in the bottle. Start using tomorrow, or later this evening at the earliest. Load a roll of TriX in yer camera, set the meter to 400 or whatever you want, and shoot. Now go to Digital truth and look up the time and temp on the Massive development chart(MDC) develope and assess to see if you like it. If you like it, do it again, if not change the speed and try again. Sounds easy doesn't it? Well, it is!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks people for all the replies! (Rick, I like that kind of encouragement )

I got home, checked the bag and found that most of the stuff I was asking for was indeed written on the bag itself!

Never noticed that... In my defence, those bags have been in a box for over a year now...

Mixed the stuff up just now, and will let it sit untill tomorrow afternoon before using it on two rolls of Tri-X400 @800.

I'm hoping 'classic-looking results from a truly great trip to Berlin' to be the outcome of this! Tomorrow night I might be able to even scan some shots and post them here, to round the thread up nicely!

Cheers,
    Johan
    Johan Niels Kuiper, www.johanniels.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you wish to become familiar with a new film then don't start off by pushing it. You first need to be comfident with the film at its rated speed and normal development. Don't copy what your friend is doing -- he may be pushing the film because he is not exposing it properly.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Tri-X 400 (120) and D-76 and love the combination. I use D-76 in a 1:1 dilution and use it as a one shot developer. About the shelf life I can not say much, since my D-76 never exceeded ~ 2 month before the gallon was gone. One thing to consider though is, that I feel at least for my camera/lens/development style TriX 400 is more 250 to me, so about 3/4 of a stop slower than box speed. I get very decent negatives using those settings, but you will have to find a setting that works for you and your equipment best. Good luck and have fun.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As this is your first time, keep it as simple as possible. About two years ago one of the Swedish veteran photographers, Gunnar Smoliansky , had an exhibition at Hasselblad Center here in Göteborg , Sweden. At a lecture he held just after the opening, I asked him if he used some special technique for developing. He answered that Everything you need to know is written in the box !
    ( or at least was in those days ).
    Just go for D-76 1+1 mixed according to the datasheet, total darknes when filmloading , use a good thermometer , use fresh fix , wash thoroughly and hang to dry in a DUSTFREE place. When dry, just enjoy the look of wonderful negatives !
    I enclose a link to where you can find the Kodak datasheet for Tri-X.
    Good luck and have fun ! From now on you will be a developoholic.

Karl-Gustaf

http://wwwse.kodak.com/global/en/pro...00/14472/14475
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you mix up D-76 wait at least a day if not longer to use it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a good quality water source and use tap water. Tap water can have quite a bit of air dissolved in it so I always boil the water for a few minutes and most of the air will be gone. I let the water cool to the recommended temperature and mix the D-76. I don't use the developer the same day it is mixed.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by K-G View Post
    About two years ago one of the Swedish veteran photographers, Gunnar Smoliansky , had an exhibition at Hasselblad Center here in Göteborg , Sweden. At a lecture he held just after the opening, I asked him if he used some special technique for developing. He answered that Everything you need to know is written in the box ![/url]
    He was quoting Elliott Erwitt by the way who said "Everything you need to know is on the side of the box" or something of that fashion =)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many nice responses here, thanks a lot all.

I've been a developoholic (love the term!) for quite some time, but until now I've been using Rodinal (both regular and stand-dev) and this is my first go at D76.
    I'm not too worried about pushing the film one stop, have done so many times with RolleiRetro400S and Tmax400.

And, I will be scanning the film and finishing in Lightroom/Photoshop, so any low contrasts or even lotsa dust can be corrected. Think I was close enough on the exposures when shooting street scenes and Tri-X is quite forgiving anyway.

Tonight I will spend my time scanning some of my backlog in film, tomorrow will be the day for the Tri-X and D76 premiere!
    Johan Niels Kuiper, www.johanniels.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing with film is, "the proof is in the printing", not the scanning. TriX screams to be slid into a negative carrier and enlarged the old fashioned way. Once you see it printed you will never want to do any digital manipulation ever again.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin