Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,857   Online: 804

Shooter
    35mm

Ilford HP5 and Ilfospeed from the 1980s

Just yesterday I found in my closet a sealed bulk 30m roll of Ilford HP5. Expiration date looks to be 1987.
    I was going to offer it up for sale, but after seeing pictures in the thread about the old Plus-X, I mght try it out. I still have a bulk loader, but no reliable film canisters.

Also found a box of Ilfospeed Multigrade II 8x10 paper, seal is broken but otherwise untouched. I have no darkroom though. Is it likely that the paper didn't hold up like the film might have?

(and I found an undeveloped roll of Kodacolor VR 400, I think I shot at a Who concert, pushed but I can't read the marking as to whether it was 800 or 1600...wonder if that roll would turn out at all).

The closet turned out to be a treasure trove.

Mike
    Texas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is that the fog level of faster films like HP5 and Tri-X rises rapidly in fairly outdated films. 24 years is almost certain to have had an effect particulary if not chilled/frozen storage.

I've Ilfospeed of that age that's OK, a bit slower and less contrast but no fogging. Try it.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I've Ilfospeed of that age that's OK, a bit slower and less contrast but no fogging. Try it.

Ian
    Unfortunately I have no darkroom, nor access to one, so really no chance to use the paper. I'll gladly donate it to someone if they cover shipping costs.

I was hoping that the film would be OK. Would it be better to expose at lower ISO than 400?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a bunch of HP5 from the 1980s. Last time I tested it (9/4/2007) it was four DIN numbers slower than fresh T-max 400. I don't recall the base fog, but it was probably somewhere around 0.6 to 0.7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many of us shoot HP5 nearer to 200 EI anyway so yes. It's so depenant on storage that you'll need to test it. I processed some Tri-X that must have been bought in the mid to late 90's and the base fog was high

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Many of us shoot HP5 nearer to 200 EI anyway so yes. It's so depenant on storage that you'll need to test it.

Ian
    Great info, thanks. What EI number should I give the processor for developing?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin