Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,848   Online: 945

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kodak AZO paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I don't remember exactly, but it seems to me Kodak began the move from packages of 12 and 144, to 10, 25, and 100 around 1950-1955. Agfa and others followed along soon after.
    I have always thought it ridiculous to sell sheet film in boxes of 25 which means one can load 12 holders and have a sheet left over in the box. Paper was boxed in the same quantities as film.
    I used to use the odd sheet as the crossover test sheet when changing batches!

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format

old Azo can surprise you

I have a box of 5x7 Azo with an expiration date of 1941 and it prints perfectly. On the other hand, I have some 2003 Azo grade 3 that prints a little dirty, especially at the perimeter of the sheet. My theory is that the older the stuff is, the longer it lasts. However, Grade 0 would be pretty much useless. One would have to make some negs suited to it: develop in Dektol or D-19 until the neg is bullet proof. Then you might get something really spectacular on the Grade 0.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I have to print my Tri-x that I push to 1600 on grade 0 usually. I push a roll a month, or so.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    John,

Wasn't planning on using it for pinhole. Actually I don't think that I am going to use it at all. For the type of photography I do I wasn't sure if I could appreciate it. I was thinking of selling it to someone who would make better use of it.

Question for everyone, I know that a grade 1 would be better but would it be much better than a grade 0? Is it much more useful?

Thanks for all your comments and feedback!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO the value is more historical than as a usable paper.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    IMHO the value is more historical than as a usable paper.

PE
    Agreed. I would not open it and perhaps sell it to a collector. I have 2 rolls of 8"x100' Azo F1 dated 1964. Not of historical value but quite useful in printing a number of Cirkut 8 negatives that I inherited.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    And, try the old English units for money used up until 1971, Pounds, Shillings and Pence.
    12 penny's in a Shilling, 20 Shillings in a Pound.
    What a nightmare!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

In school, we had to calculate the speed of light in furlongs per fortnight!

PE
    ROFLMAO PE, I love it! You made my day! Still LOL
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gordon,

I have a box packaged identically to yours, but Grade 3. My box is unopened, but has a slight imperfection in one corner of the box. Yours looks more prestine and would thus be more desireable to a collector. I purchased mine with the intent of printing on it some day.

On another note, I expect the older stuff lasts longer than the newer stuff due to ingredients that have been legislated out of existance such as Cadmium. I'm sure PE can shed some light on this.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    ROFLMAO PE, I love it! You made my day! Still LOL
    In one of the great coincidences of the universe, my math teacher was named Bowen.

PE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin