Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,402   Online: 818

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pricing might have something to do with the population differences, 22.7 million in Oz, vs 37.2 million in US-CA and 307 million in the US.

Pull processing for a roll of B&W is in the $20 range here in CA(Canada).
    Last edited by Bob-D659; 11-29-2011 at 11:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    High, but not high if it were one fee applied to a batch.
    It's getting to be a sellers market for lab services again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a bit stiff, I would look else where!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Pricing might have something to do with the population differences, 22.7 million in Oz, vs 37.2 million in Cali and 307 million in the US.

Pull processing for a roll of B&W is in the $20 range here in Canada.
    Agreed, but I really wish you'd stop using that expression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, I edited and changed my post.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's very high compared to the market here in the SE US, but things are relative. Perhaps their costs are considerable in Australia. You need to compare apples to apples. Check with other labs down under. Good luck.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    yes
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If a lab isn't otherwise running reasonable volumes of Black & White, and they have to do a special run just for your film, the lab will lose money at that fair but admittedly expensive price.

If the lab provides custom processing for every batch of Black & White they process (individual adjustments) then the price is fair (compare with Elevator in Toronto).

The only factors that permit labs to charge low prices are volume, mechanization and standardization over many rolls.

So before you leave a film with any lab, make no assumptions about either: 1) type of service being provided and 2) the price.

Now it may be that the OP made those enquiries before leaving the film, and is just now trying to get some perspective on what the lab charged.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 1 stop over exposure is well within the latitude of BW film. The film can be developed normally and during printing just increase exposure to "punch through" the extra density. Many people do this routinely to insure good shadow detail. Chalk it up to learning an expensive lesson.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In Aus there is 1 place (maybe 1 or 2 smaller places) that do B&W, and they outsource for everybody. They have enough business that they don't bother processing colour or offer any services other than B&W process/print. They charge $15/roll, and use a very limited range of chemicals to stay consistent. Their focus is exhibition quality and fine art, but since they're the only game in town they also do any hipster/holga/junk rolls that you drop off at your local shop.

In Sydney (pop ~4.5M) there are about 3-4 places that do colour 120 and they all charge $10.

The biggest issue is that there is like 1 distributor in the country, and they distribute for all the manufacturers so they have a virtual monopoly on film and chemistry. I'll bet that that's where the ludicrous mark-up is and all our money is going.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin