Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,483   Online: 859

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Michael This sounds good. I will have to shoot, soup a roll and report back.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind - metal tanks transfer heat from your hands much more efficiently than plastic tanks, particularly during initial agitation ... A tempering bath is good for when the tank is at rest.
    An excellent point to remember.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind - metal tanks transfer heat from your hands much more efficiently than plastic tanks
    I bought a white two gallon plastic paint pail ($4 at Home Depot) that I fill with water for a water bath. After processing, I use the water to wash the film, then when empty, I use it to store all the graduates, etc.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well everyone. After testing -- simply inverting the tank (metal reel tank) and alternating the axis of rotation every 90 degrees every other flip worked MUCH better than torodial agitation. The negs looked indistinguishable from beginning to end.

Thanks for the Help,
    Chris Maness

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I always invert the tank upside down, and then give it a slight rotation as I turn it back right side up. Three of these takes about five seconds, so that's my routine, although the thought went through my head the other day that maybe I've been doing it wrong for 20 years.
    used this method - 20 years+, may be wrong but works for me too!!!

someone else said, "don't overthink" - good advice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Invert-de-invert-turn-invert-de-invert-turn-invert-de-invert-turn...that's how I roll.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i always agitate in the shape of a figure 8 ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i always agitate in the shape of a figure 8 ...
    Everybody knows my method is the best! Anybody who does it differently and gets good results is just plain lucky. Sure, a figure eight might work good for you, but that's only because you are probably swirling it fast enough to generate random Von Karman vortices. Not everyone has your forearm strength, you know, and studies have shown that Von Karman vortices, while setting up sufficient agitation, can in fact introduce micro-reticulation in certain maniform sections of carbon based films, particularly if one does not consider the weak anthropic principle. Fool! I can't believe I even hang around here!

Oh wait, were talking about agitation, not agitating. Sorry John. I've been monitoring some threads that are pretty much like that.

...Seriously, I think there are probably as many ways to agitate as there are agitated analog photographers. The one that you find works for you, is the right one. Probably because everybody is different. A unique snowflake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeez, now Jason is calling me a snowflake. (I'm sure it was a personal attack even though I haven't posted in the thread. I can just tell these things.)

Damn, where are the moderators when you need them.

Oh wait, he is one.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, my purpose for posting the original question was met. How do I agitate a spiral tank to get even development. I now know.

Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin