Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,292   Online: 1128

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ultrafine litho film

Anyone using this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to remember a thread about this in the not to distant past. I think I read it was X-ray film.
    I think this is where I was reading about it: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/9...itho-film.html
    Last edited by Rick A; 11-30-2011 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is not Xray film; it is Litho film: slow, high contrast and fun to play with. It may need to be trimmed to fit your holders since I believe it is a full 8x10. Their "Continuous Tone Duplicating Film" is Xray film duplicating film and not, in my opinion, worth the bother. I found the latter product to be so slow as to be unworkable but the litho film equal to EFKE print film in quality if not speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason I'm asking is I've been experimenting with several alternatives for making certain types of masks (where an ortho, very high contrast, very slow film is ideal). Two I'm planning on trying in the next few weeks are Rollei ATO 2.1, and Ultrafine Litho. I just received a box of 100 sheets of 4x5" ultrafine but haven't used it yet.

I'm wondering what to expect in the way of quality (emulsion defects etc), and I'm also wondering about its grain structure - ie since it is super slow, super high contrast, is it also super fine grained like a document film? I'm hoping that is the case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to mix up or buy a litho developer if you want very high contrast masks, in addition to just using the film with a standard film, or perhaps even paper developer.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use dilute developers for masks, but it is not to make the mask high contrast per se. The reason I want a high contrast film is just for the short scale, so I can easily put most of the scale of the original negative on or past the shoulder of the lith film and then develop in a highly dilute developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found no defects so far in the box I have of 8x10. I've shot perhaps 15 sheets. since it is basically a graphic arts film, the grain structure is different. Mid-tones, where we see the grain most, tend to drop out. The edges stay very, very sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the responses.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin