Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,874   Posts: 1,520,166   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It isn't a problem at all, I never use a pre-soak with B&W films and have used a lot of Fomapan 100 & 200 in replenished Xtol and Pyrocat HD.
    Thanks, Ian. That was precisely my point in posting the question. I could never understand the obsession with removing the antihalation dye, as there is seemingly no benefit to doing so.
    It doesn't seem to make any difference at all.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess the only real benefit of presoaking would be to control temperature, which is what I do it for. Plus it looks really cool when you pour out that green-blueish stuff. On a side note, Fomapan never curls with me, it dries very flat when I hang it to dry.

Is there any other developer than Pyro with hardening properties? I really love Fomapan, but I've almost given up on it because of the scratches.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho
    I guess the only real benefit of presoaking would be to control temperature, which is what I do it for. Plus it looks really cool when you pour out that green-blueish stuff.
    Tempering the tank makes sense. My darkroom is about 60*F in the summer and 45*F in the winter, so I use a water bath for my stainless steel tank AND the chemicals to bring them all to temperature before I start the process.

Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho
    Is there any other developer than Pyro with hardening properties? I really love Fomapan, but I've almost given up on it because of the scratches.
    Caffenol. I know it's tanning, but not sure whether it hardens or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the info guys I think I will "bin it!'.
    One way or another I have been involved in photography for over 50 years, that's when I started in 1959 working in Dufay colour film factory/laboratory . Now retired but when earning the dollar I was part owner of a very small colour lab printing for just a few of WAs commercial photographers, also have worked as the darkroom technician for a couple of top photographers (Boy I sound like a real big head). So over the years I wouldn't have a clue how much film has been through my hands.... But I reckon that batch of FOMA must rank along with some of the crap that was being made in the Soviet Union back in the early 60's. Colin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Thomas;
    I run a tank system, use replenished D-76 and fixer until exhausted. Just do not like the color contamination, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Justprocessed a roll of a later batch.. no problems the results where great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello Thomas;
    I run a tank system, use replenished D-76 and fixer until exhausted. Just do not like the color contamination, Steven.
    Please forgive me for being blunt, but that's a reason I cannot comprehend.
    The job of your developer is not to look nice, it is to develop your film properly. Why does it matter what color it is?

To ColRay - glad you had some good results finally! Let's hope it continues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin