Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,193   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Ilford Art 300 samples

All this talk of Ilford Art 300 has me intrigued, but before I buy a pack of this premium paper--I'd love to see a sample print. Does Ilford send out sample swatches? Does anyone have a work print they'd send me for the cost of postage? It doesn't have to be big--just a properly exposed print with a nice full range of tones. Normally I'd just order it, but I'd like to see what the surface sheen looks like. Thanks.

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format

Review of Ilford Art 300

I' am also curious about this paper.
    Below the only review I could find on the net.

ilfordphoto.com/photocommunity/download.asp?n=1240

(I'am not aloud to place links witch is annoying but copy past en put the http in front of it your self and it should work)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, I forgot Ilford even had a forum, but there's plenty of good feedback on APUG. Nothing substitutes for being able to actually see the paper. Still looking for a work print, but even a test strip would be helpful. Anyone? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PM me your address and I will happily send you a printed sample.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As an FYI : All our resellers around the world should have a swatch book available showing all our paper products ( including ART300 ).

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thank you Simon, PM sent. I was recently at the Penn Camera store in downtown DC (an Ilford reseller) and their swatch book was in sad shape--and alas--no Art 300. You might want to remind the resellers to actually put the new swatch books out for display.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    As an FYI : All our resellers around the world should have a swatch book available showing all our paper products ( including ART300 ).

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    I'm impressed! To see a rep of Illford active on APUG is a real honor... plus you have over 1100 posts just blows me away.

I have been in search of a comparable paper to replce my old AGFA Record Rapid n found Illford MGFB Warmtone to be about the closest so far. Films have improved so much over the years but papers have all but dissapeared. I just hope telling you this will inspire Illford to continue it's efforts to supply us with good materials to work with so we can keep film alive n well for another 200 years.

BTW B&H needs a new swatch book, theirs is missing papers and in rag tag condition.

Thanks Simon.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Simon, Great to see you posting about the new paper.

I have been running it through the paces lately and like very much what I see. It is great to work with and I love the texture and how it compliments a certain type of photograph. However, the thing I am not so sure of is the somewhat reflective sheen the paper displays. I was under the impression that this was to be more like Hahnemuhle's digital "Photo Rag" paper with a dull, matt surface much like a watercolor paper. I'm finding this shine coupled with the texture to be distracting and am hearing the same from other photographers as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detroit_2011_1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	42484

What I am wondering is if Ilford has any plans to offer a more traditional matt surface as in their other papers? If possible, I think it would be a great alternative and make the paper even more interesting to potential users. Personally I would buy the stuff by the case if so, but in its current state I can only see using it for the occasional project.

All that aside, I commend you and Ilford for your dedication to traditional photographic materials and I will continue using your products with great satisfaction. The fact you've actually developed a new paper is a testament to your commitment to those of us that still love the wet darkroom and I can only hope there will be more.

All the Best, Bill Schwab
    www.billschwab.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Bill,

Pleased you like ART 300 : Its funny, Glossy unglazed FB outsells matt FB by a factor of 4 to 1 approx, when we went out on field trial to photographers around the world with ART 300 some of the questions on the questionnaire obviously relate to the surface, we got excellent feedback.

Perhaps as the product is now being used by a wider audience its kicking up more comment.

I would say this, you can matte down an emulsion used for coating, whether it would be viable to launch a matte version I cannot say and its very early days in the product life, so certainly not at the moment. When you have a matte version you also get the 'its D.Max is not as good as the 'glossier' version, this is 95% perception and about 5% fact. The reflective quality of the product is the thing, the photo emulsion on ART 300 certainly retains the bases inherent 'lustre' whereas an inkjet coating dulls it significantly due to the particulates in the ink jet coating. As always it comes down to personal taste, probably prints using ART 300 are more likely to be hung and split reflective surfaces can be tricky to view in high light.

I am aware of 'matte' sprays that are commercially available but could not speak of any archival effect they may have, I will see what is out there though.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Pleased you like ART 300 : Its funny, Glossy unglazed FB outsells matt FB by a factor of 4 to 1 approx, when we went out on field trial to photographers around the world with ART 300 some of the questions on the questionnaire obviously relate to the surface, we got excellent feedback.
    Thanks for getting back to me on this, Simon. I am not surprised you got good feedback as it appears to be a very nice paper for some applications. And while I realize that a matt surface is an acquired taste much like platinum printing, Dmax isn't the holy grail for all of us out here. This is in large part the reason that Photo Rag is so popular among so many and why I and so many others were so excited to hear that you were working on a Photo Rag based paper. Unfortunately though, the photographic version of the paper doesn't display this quality with its shiny coating.

I also mentioned in the other thread that I suspected it is some sort of resin coated hybrid, though I was told via the Ilford Facebook page that this is not the case. However, having been able to separate the coating from the paper base, it feels very much like a polymer of some sort and this concerns me as to its archival quality. They also directed me to a page that spoke of the shorter wash times. This also leads me to believe there must be some kind of resin coating as I am questioning how a heavier than normal, fiber based paper could in fact have shorter wash times? Something doesn't add-up.

Thanks again, Simon. Please forgive me for seemingly looking a "gift horse in the mouth" because I want to love and use this paper. However, I also need to be able to be sure of what I would be potentially selling collectors. I'll do some more testing and perhaps a 3rd party analysis before putting it into rotation in my darkroom. Also, if you could shed more light on the coating and reason for shorter wash times, it would be very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin