Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,130   Posts: 1,637,246   Online: 1209

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're right of course - but why not just write it as "1+3" and be done with it? Since NO ONE will misunderstand that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am more confused by the plus than by the ratio symbol, since I have never seen it used that way. Numbers separated by ":" clearly indicate that the numbers are meant only to indicate proportions (except in the aforementioned professions). Numbers separated by a "+" indicate that the numbers on either side are the actual amounts to be used in measurement. Anyone who has passed 1st grade math knows that. Using an addition sign to indicate a ratio, against common conventions, is not clear.

And neither of them mean anything without stating what the numbers on each side of the symbols mean. You don't just say "1:3," because it doesn't mean anything by itself. You'd say something along the lines of, "Stock to water 1:3," "One part water to three parts stock," both of which make it abundantly clear. If you say "to" or "ratio," it is immediately clear what is meant.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Suit yourself. I've seen 1+3 in photography since at least the 1970s, to indicate one part stock PLUS three parts water. Makes perfect sense to me. We could just write "1 to 3".

Shrug.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 12-05-2011 at 05:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Older formulas would often say "dilute 1 part of developer with 3 parts of water." A bit wordy but totally unambiguous. The problem is that some mathematically challanged people do not see the ':' as indicating a ratio. People on APUG are fairly frequent in asking dilution problems. Let's make it easy for them. For this I personally prefer the '+' notation.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Appreciate getting answers, but can see it would be best if I don't use either the colon or + sigh but spell out exactly what I mean.Amazing how things get sidetracked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin